[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> guess it would be better for it to test for an opening on port 25 instead of a
> ping cause a server can obviously still be up (pingable) and not be running SMTP
> services. If you know how to do that, please let me know.

If you grab a copy of netsaint (http://www.netsaint.org), you can use the check_smtp
utility (and discard the rest of the package if you don't need it). From the
documentation:

"This plugin will check to see if it can connect to the SMTP port on the specified
host. The plugin will look for the string specified by the expect argument in the
first line of the response from the host (default is "220"). Specifying an optional
port number on the command line will override the default port (25). A critical
status is returned if the host cannot be contacted within crit_time seconds (if the
-ct option is supplied) and a warning status is returned if the host cannot be
contacted within warn_time seconds (if the -wt option is supplied). A critical
status is returned if the plugin cannot contact the host within the timeout period
specified by the to_sec option."

Version 0.04 just came out of beta.

- Tillman Hodgson