On Wed, 28 Jul 1999 15:42:34 +0100, Alex at Star wrote:

>> Syslog is crap. Pure junk
>We also saw a lot of our performance problems disappear when we moved from syslog to
>cyclog

As has been pointed out before, a simple '-' before the maillog file
name in syslog.conf (see man page) will prevent sync() after each
entry. This realizes most of the performance gains seen with cyclog.

I obviously still prefer cyclog, but the syslog.conf change followed by
a syslogd HUP is a very fast and simple fix when seeing a system in
trouble.

-Sincerely, Fred