On Sat, 31 Jul 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have set-up Qmail as per the howto, and have added vchkpw to authenticate
> users. Two major problems present themselves, the first is the dirty R word, yes
> relaying - the stock reply to this seems to be RTFM, so as not to be tarred with
> that brush I have done so a number of times, and followed the directions
> regarding tcp.smtp and tcprules with great care a number of times. Every time
> I get told to take my mail away - this doesn't impress my users. I have checked
> the tcp.smtp file in a number of editors and no spurious control codes are
> present.

firstly I'd stop ttrying to get virtual domains working, and make sure
qmail itself is working and delivering mail to postmaster's mailbox on the
machine itself. Once this is working virtual domains can be added
afterwards. then as you move forwards in developing the mail service you
can ask for help, and when something breaks undo what you did last and
things will works again.

> Just to be thorough, I heve checked what is running with top at startup, I have
> qmail-rspawn, qmail-lspawn, qmail-clean and accustamp running under qmail-send,
> which in turn runs under supervise. I have two instances of tcpserver running
> under two instances of supervise. Does this sound normal?

yes, one for qmail-smptd, and one for qmail-pop3d

> When I create a mail with qmail-inject, I can't log on to qmail-pop3d to retrieve
> it from the network, I get a 'no socket' error.

1/ what command lines are you using to start the popmail service? post the
actual scripts you use, not anything else, and don't obfusticate/edit them.
2/ did the mail arrive in the right location on the system
3/ of the pop3 tcpserver is (say) PID 98765 do something like:
   strace -ff -o /tmp/pop3 -p 98765

   and try ONCE to download the mail. there should be a whole bunch of
files in /tmp called pop3 and pop3.nnnnnn read them and see which one
failed and why.

(ps when using the webmail thingy you are using keep your lines VERY short,
it seems to put lots of space in at the beginnning of each line.)

RjL
The problems of the world || Fax: +44 870 0521198
can't be solved by fixing || Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
the working -- C. Daniluk ||