Ira Abramov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 5 August 1999 at 08:49:54 +0300

 > I just noticed messages to non-existant hosts (due to typos or whatever)
 > don't get bounced, but instead stay stuck in the queue for the full
 > lifetime (1 week here). any REALLY good reaon for that?

A host that looks non-existent could have have its DNS missing or
down, or its link down.  Keeping it for a week gives them a chance to
get it back up.

On the other hand, of course it means you don't discover you mistyped
the address for a week.

I think a week queue lifetime is simply too long, myself.  Haven't
changed it here yet, though.
--
David Dyer-Bennet         ***NOTE ADDRESS CHANGES***          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/ (photos) Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon