qmail Digest 7 Aug 1999 10:00:01 -0000 Issue 721

Topics (messages 28650 through 28682):

HELP: Distributed mail system
        28650 by: Jason Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        28651 by: Russell Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        28658 by: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Qmail throughput
        28652 by: Jim Arnott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        28653 by: Victor Tavares <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        28654 by: "Pieckiel, Kevin A" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        28655 by: "Johannes Erdfelt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        28656 by: Jim Arnott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        28659 by: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        28662 by: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        28664 by: Jim Arnott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Backward Alias System
        28657 by: "Timothy L. Mayo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        28666 by: Russell Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Performance
        28660 by: "Cris Daniluk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        28663 by: "Tim Hunter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        28665 by: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        28667 by: Mark Delany <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        28668 by: Jim Arnott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        28669 by: "Pieckiel, Kevin A" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        28670 by: Mark Delany <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        28671 by: Mark Delany <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        28672 by: "David Dyer-Bennet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        28673 by: "Tim Hunter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        28674 by: "Racer X" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Qmail newbie POP problem..
        28661 by: "Hawke Robinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

RH 6.0 compile problem...
        28675 by: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Weinberg)
        28676 by: Ken Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        28677 by: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Weinberg)
        28678 by: Ryan Cleary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        28679 by: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Weinberg)

$HOME must be owned by user?
        28680 by: "Scott D. Yelich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        28681 by: Russell Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

How to backup ?
        28682 by: "Gururaj H.S" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hello,

I have a very interesting situation here. I have two servers,
host1.mydomain.com and host2.mydomain.com. I have host1 as the primary
mail server in the DNS-MX record. Both the hosts have qmail-1.03
installed in it.

I have user mailboxes in both the server:

in HOST1: user1, user2, user3
in HOST2: user4, user5, user6

Now i would like to make qmail in my whole system work in such a way
that any mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED] or
[EMAIL PROTECTED] be delivered to user1, user2, user3 in HOST1
whereas mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED] be delivered to mailboxes user4, user5, user6 in
HOST2.

Later i would like to implement these concepts to my hosts in
different cities (POP) so that every user of our network will have
same template of e-mail address ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) without any
mention of the hostname of the server in his/her city.

If anybody has any idea making this distributed system, please help.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Jason Brown writes:
 > in HOST1: user1, user2, user3
 > in HOST2: user4, user5, user6
 >
 > Now i would like to make qmail in my whole system work in such a way
 > that any mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED] or
 > [EMAIL PROTECTED] be delivered to user1, user2, user3 in HOST1
 > whereas mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 > [EMAIL PROTECTED] be delivered to mailboxes user4, user5, user6 in
 > HOST2.

echo '|forward "$LOCAL@HOST2"' >host1:~alias/.qmail-default
echo '|forward "$LOCAL@HOST1"' >host2:~alias/.qmail-default

A little more complication will let you generate a better bounce
message if someone sends mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://crynwr.com/~nelson

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Jason Brown wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a very interesting situation here. I have two servers,
> host1.mydomain.com and host2.mydomain.com. I have host1 as the primary
> mail server in the DNS-MX record. Both the hosts have qmail-1.03
> installed in it.
>
> I have user mailboxes in both the server:
>
> in HOST1: user1, user2, user3
> in HOST2: user4, user5, user6
>
> Now i would like to make qmail in my whole system work in such a way
> that any mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED] or
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] be delivered to user1, user2, user3 in HOST1
> whereas mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] be delivered to mailboxes user4, user5, user6 in
> HOST2.
>
> Later i would like to implement these concepts to my hosts in
> different cities (POP) so that every user of our network will have
> same template of e-mail address ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) without any
> mention of the hostname of the server in his/her city.

put the maildirs on a high-performance server using RAID and a logging
filesystem (eg sun's online disksuite). cross-mount the filestores between
the servers. Users then read mail from their maildirs usinf qmail-pop3d
off any of the servers.

front-end the servers with a number of qmail systems which deliver over
NFS.

you can then play around with secondary interface addresses on the popmail
servers to publish the same IP address at each city which is assosiated
with (say) pop.mydomain.com and is then routed to the nearest pop-server

RjL

All,

Thanks for all your help and pointers. Looks like its the disk bandwith. When I
take out the fsync's in qmail-queue it drops down to 24 seconds (41.6/sec).

SUMMARY:

Could only inject a 1000 byte file into the queue at a rate of 13.6/sec.
On a ~433 Alpha with Digital UNIX 4.0.

CONCLUSION:

The queue is very disk intensive and all writes are fsync'ed.

Things to try:

(thanks to David Dyer-Bennet,Daemeon Reiydelle, [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED])

        Remove the fsync call in qmail-queue.c
        Use a battery backed ram drive.
        Send directly before queing and queue those that fail (does qmail
support this)
        Performance tune the system
        SCSI controller with write-back cache
        Run qmail-queue directly (qmail-queue does the fsync's though)

thanks again,
Jim Arnott

How do you do this with Qmail? Isn't that what Sendmail does?

> Another way is to make an initial attempt to deliver the message
> directly, before queueing it. Since some fairly large proportion of
> messages go through on the first try (depends a lot on your address
> mix, but 50% to 95%), queueing only the ones that fail of initial
> delivery can also be a big win.

--vic

Another option, call qmail-remote directly.  You'll require a
preformatted message, but ultimately THAT is the program that actually
delivers the message to a machine.  But on the other hand, you'd have to
check for errors if it can't be delivered...

Kevin

On Fri, Aug 06, 1999, Jim Arnott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks for all your help and pointers. Looks like its the disk bandwith. When I
> take out the fsync's in qmail-queue it drops down to 24 seconds (41.6/sec).
>
> SUMMARY:
>
> Could only inject a 1000 byte file into the queue at a rate of 13.6/sec.
> On a ~433 Alpha with Digital UNIX 4.0.
>
> CONCLUSION:
>
> The queue is very disk intensive and all writes are fsync'ed.
>
> Things to try:
>
> (thanks to David Dyer-Bennet,Daemeon Reiydelle, [EMAIL PROTECTED],
> [EMAIL PROTECTED])
>
>       Remove the fsync call in qmail-queue.c
>       Use a battery backed ram drive.
>       Send directly before queing and queue those that fail (does qmail
> support this)
>       Performance tune the system
>       SCSI controller with write-back cache
>       Run qmail-queue directly (qmail-queue does the fsync's though)

This still seems VERY slow, esp for Digital Unix. Which patch version of
Digital Unix are you using? What kind of partition are you writing to?
AdvFS or UFS?

JE

> On Fri, Aug 06, 1999, Jim Arnott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for all your help and pointers. Looks like its the disk bandwith.
When I
> > take out the fsync's in qmail-queue it drops down to 24 seconds (41.6/sec).
> >
> > SUMMARY:
> >
> > Could only inject a 1000 byte file into the queue at a rate of 13.6/sec.
> > On a ~433 Alpha with Digital UNIX 4.0.
> >
> > CONCLUSION:
> >
> > The queue is very disk intensive and all writes are fsync'ed.
> >
> > Things to try:
> >
> > (thanks to David Dyer-Bennet,Daemeon Reiydelle, [EMAIL PROTECTED],
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED])
> >
> >     Remove the fsync call in qmail-queue.c
> >     Use a battery backed ram drive.
> >     Send directly before queing and queue those that fail (does qmail
> > support this)
> >     Performance tune the system
> >     SCSI controller with write-back cache
> >     Run qmail-queue directly (qmail-queue does the fsync's though)
>
> This still seems VERY slow, esp for Digital Unix. Which patch version of
> Digital Unix are you using? What kind of partition are you writing to?
> AdvFS or UFS?
>
> JE

# uname -a
OSF1 uws001.vms.bridge.com V4.0 878 alpha

/var/qmail is on the usr_domain#usr partition and its AdvFS.

-jim

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Jim Arnott wrote:

> CONCLUSION:
> The queue is very disk intensive and all writes are fsync'ed.

they are supposed to be! anything else risks you loosing messages if the
system crashes
> Things to try:
>
> (thanks to David Dyer-Bennet,Daemeon Reiydelle, [EMAIL PROTECTED],
> [EMAIL PROTECTED])
>
>       Remove the fsync call in qmail-queue.c
>       Use a battery backed ram drive.
>       Send directly before queing and queue those that fail (does qmail
> support this)
>       Performance tune the system
>       SCSI controller with write-back cache
>       Run qmail-queue directly (qmail-queue does the fsync's though)

+++++++ stop using splogger

Richard

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Victor Tavares wrote:

> How do you do this with Qmail? Isn't that what Sendmail does?
>

> > Another way is to make an initial attempt to deliver the message
> > directly, before queueing it. Since some fairly large proportion of
> > messages go through on the first try (depends a lot on your address
> > mix, but 50% to 95%), queueing only the ones that fail of initial
> > delivery can also be a big win.

basically. assuming your mail message is in a file called mail-out.txt and
includes all of the necessary headers (To, From, Date, Subject, etc), and
you want to send it to [EMAIL PROTECTED] from [EMAIL PROTECTED]

qmail-remote example.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] \
  <mail-out.txt >reports.txt

you then parse reports.txt and decide if the deliverd failed -- if it
did then you invoke qmail-queue to put it in qmail-send's queue to get it
sent sometime later.

Obviously, from a perl script one uses a bi-directional pipe to
communicate with the sub-processes for efficiency, or one could have a
large number of processes doing things, which could give unlimited
concurrency (subject to memory...)

RjL

> On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Jim Arnott wrote:
>
> > CONCLUSION:
> > The queue is very disk intensive and all writes are fsync'ed.
>
> they are supposed to be! anything else risks you loosing messages if the
> system crashes
> > Things to try:
> >
> > (thanks to David Dyer-Bennet,Daemeon Reiydelle, [EMAIL PROTECTED],
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED])
> >
> >     Remove the fsync call in
> >     Use a battery backed ram drive.
> >     Send directly before queing and queue those that fail (does qmail
> > support this)
> >     Performance tune the system
> >     SCSI controller with write-back cache
> >     Run qmail-queue directly (qmail-queue does the fsync's though)
>
> +++++++ stop using splogger

I dont use the splogger, I use cyclog.

Also qmail-queue does not log (as far as I know) and in this "experiment"
I did not evaen have qmail-send running as stated in my original message.

-jim

> Richard

As soon as you put the domains into control/locals you made the entries in
control/virtualdomains totally useless.  Domains must go in EITHER
control/locals or control/virtualdomains.  THEY CANNOT BE PUT IN BOTH
FILES.  If they are the domain is considered local and the virtualdomains
entry is IGNORED.

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Daniel Callan wrote:

> [...]
>
> AS OPPOSED TO
>
> design:       account1                (gloabal alias)
>
> >but only domains that are local - i.e. exists in
> >control/locals will result in an immediate delivery to the local user if
> >the user exists.
> >   ALL local deliveries are done first.
>
> All of the virtual domains I'm using are in control/locals AND
> in control/virtdomains. If they weren't, I couldn't use them as domains
> for all the local accounts. None of the domains are soley for either
> purpose, they are all used for BOTH accounts and aliases.
>
> Point is, Sendmail was able to have virtual domains apply to all
> known accounts and aliases (WITH ALIASES CHECKED BEFORE ACCOUNTS).
>

> >> Am I the only who thinks this is completey backwards???
> >
> >Unfortunately not.
>
> Glad to hear that at least ;-)
>

> >> Has anyone managed to get a sane alias system going under Qmail?
> >
> >yes. indeed.
> >
> >Check out
> >http://x42.com/doc/qmail/vdomains1.txt
> >for an old posting to this list.
> >
> >There will be a section in LWQ about this.
> >

> I did and strangely enough it doesn't vary from our setup very much
> at all. More particularly, we have already achieved the goals of that
> page. Only we DO have them in locals (to make the normal accounts respond
> to that domain too) and we run the aliases straight from the /etc/aliases
> (to keep the lusers from wiping their .qmail* files under FTP)
>
> ie:
> >>I am trying to set up multiple domains with multiple aliases. For
> > example:
> >  Joe B. has a login of joeb and an email address of -  [EMAIL PROTECTED] Yet
> >  Joe H. has a login in as joeh and an email address of - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >

> I can already do this quite effectively :-)
>
> What I CAN'T do is:
>
> Joe B. has a login of "joeb" and an email address of -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (WORKS OK)
> Joe H. has a login in as "joeh" and an email address of - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (STILL WORKS)
> Joe ? comes along and gets the login "joe" for email of - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (DOH! THIS ACCOUNT GETS MAIL FOR ALL THREE OF THEM)
>
> This was not the case in Sendmail. Why change?
>
> As I mentioned earlier, I definately require BOTH kinds of
> functionality for each domain (ie: local aliases AND local accounts).
> We are a Virtual ISP / Web Domain hosting service and have about
> 200 virtual domains on this mailserver (about 50 of which have 100-500
> local email accounts for each of that clients' users AND a gaggle of aliases
> for themselves, some of which shorter than 8 chars eg: design, info).
>
> This is why solutions such as "Domain only works for local aliases" or
> "Domain only works for local accounts" are not even an option for us.
> I need both. :-\
>
> It just seems so silly to check accounts before aliases, for any reason
> at all. I really can't fathom a single benefit from that order.

---------------------------------
Timothy L. Mayo                         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Administrator
localconnect(sm)
http://www.localconnect.net/

The National Business Network Inc.      http://www.nb.net/
One Monroeville Center, Suite 850
Monroeville, PA  15146
(412) 810-8888 Phone
(412) 810-8886 Fax

Perhaps it's a good time to point people to
http://www.qmail.org/qmail-lint-0.53 .  It catches problems like these.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://crynwr.com/~nelson

Well, we're starting into our testing of qmail so that we can transition
away from the garbage-polluted ms smtp server that we had such a long thread
about earlier this week.

Basically, we constructed a temporary system for benchmarking. It is a dual
p2 400 with a dpt smartraid5 controller and 64mb cache. We put in 2 9.1gb
cheetahs on a raid 0 stripe. The system has 160mb ram.

The first benchmark we ran was to see how fast we could populate the queue.
I made a script to sequentially fill the queue with 20kb messages. It was
able to do 2000 20kb messages in approximately 16 seconds (precision was
only to the second, so 15.1-16.9 are valid ranges). 125 messages per second
is more than adequate for our needs. I was very impressed by the fact that
qmail could populate the queue so quickly. I think that definitely goes to
show the scalability of qmail.

The next test we're going to do is to use it as a mail relay, relaying from
the message generator machines out to the net. For the short term, we are
going to run 4 separate qmails with 4 separate queues. Each instance will be
on a separate ip, though. What needs to be done to qmail to make it bind to
a specific IP? This is pretty vital that we bind to separate ips because
eventually we will be putting in 4 network cards (one for each queue).

To further increase our hardware aresenal, once we find the optimal
performance setup, we're going to build 5 of them. We'll have 5 machines
generating mail, 5 sending, and we hope to be able to send upward of 10
million or more per day. At that time we'll also have a 256mb cache on the
raid controller so that the queue can run much more efficiently.

I think that everyone on the qmail list deserves a big thanks from all of us
for the valuable information and insight. It appears that qmail will be a
successful solution for us, and ironically, thousands of dollars cheaper
than the Big Hardware Big Software microsoft solution that we were using
before.

Once we get the network cards in and binded, we'll be on  our way to a
wonderful solution...

Cris Daniluk
MicroStrategy

Makes me amazed at the machines that people have to run mail anymore.
My company mail server is a p75, 32M, 2G IDE
I have only 30 users but alot of throughput, never had any problems with
queuing or ever had to reboot for any reason other than a kernel update.
Maybe I should run some benchmarks just to show how great qmail is on a
piece of dirt machine.

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Cris Daniluk wrote:

> on a separate ip, though. What needs to be done to qmail to make it bind to
> a specific IP? This is pretty vital that we bind to separate ips because
> eventually we will be putting in 4 network cards (one for each queue).

tcpserver takes the listen IP address ('host') as an argument -- that gets
your message into one of the queues. There is a patch on www.qmail.org
which allows qmail-remote to bind to a specific local address

Richard

At 04:36 PM Friday 8/6/99, you wrote:
>Makes me amazed at the machines that people have to run mail anymore.
>My company mail server is a p75, 32M, 2G IDE
>I have only 30 users but alot of throughput, never had any problems with

Right. But presumably Cris is talking about something a "tad" bigger. I
found that I needed around 4 X Sparc 5s for 60,000-100,000 users.

That's a system that has to deal with over 2,000 times your load and there
are plenty bigger...

Mark.

>queuing or ever had to reboot for any reason other than a kernel update.
>Maybe I should run some benchmarks just to show how great qmail is on a
>piece of dirt machine.

Wow, thats very impressive throughput.
-jim

> Well, we're starting into our testing of qmail so that we can transition
> away from the garbage-polluted ms smtp server that we had such a long thread
> about earlier this week.
>
> Basically, we constructed a temporary system for benchmarking. It is a dual
> p2 400 with a dpt smartraid5 controller and 64mb cache. We put in 2 9.1gb
> cheetahs on a raid 0 stripe. The system has 160mb ram.
>
> The first benchmark we ran was to see how fast we could populate the queue.
> I made a script to sequentially fill the queue with 20kb messages. It was
> able to do 2000 20kb messages in approximately 16 seconds (precision was
> only to the second, so 15.1-16.9 are valid ranges). 125 messages per second
> is more than adequate for our needs. I was very impressed by the fact that
> qmail could populate the queue so quickly. I think that definitely goes to
> show the scalability of qmail.
>
> The next test we're going to do is to use it as a mail relay, relaying from
> the message generator machines out to the net. For the short term, we are
> going to run 4 separate qmails with 4 separate queues. Each instance will be
> on a separate ip, though. What needs to be done to qmail to make it bind to
> a specific IP? This is pretty vital that we bind to separate ips because
> eventually we will be putting in 4 network cards (one for each queue).
>
> To further increase our hardware aresenal, once we find the optimal
> performance setup, we're going to build 5 of them. We'll have 5 machines
> generating mail, 5 sending, and we hope to be able to send upward of 10
> million or more per day. At that time we'll also have a 256mb cache on the
> raid controller so that the queue can run much more efficiently.
>
> I think that everyone on the qmail list deserves a big thanks from all of us
> for the valuable information and insight. It appears that qmail will be a
> successful solution for us, and ironically, thousands of dollars cheaper
> than the Big Hardware Big Software microsoft solution that we were using
> before.
>
> Once we get the network cards in and binded, we'll be on  our way to a
> wonderful solution...
>
> Cris Daniluk
> MicroStrategy

Hehe... mine is a 486/66 with 16 megs of RAM.  We have about 50 users
and no problems.  I thought about doing some benchmarking, but haven't
gotten around to it yet.

Kevin