My company makes its money offering an email virus scanning service (based
on qmail!), so I would like to throw in my 2p worth based on our
experience.....

>> Viruses are being increasingly sent as encrypted msgs
>Ok, you're got an arguement against server based scanning there, but the
>question is; If the virus intially comes out in a pgp message, it will
>not be propagated in an encrypted format if the people that resend don't
>use pgp. Or an I wrong there?
I have not seen any examples of this, ever. Now, of course our system would
not pick this up directly so I am basing this on the fact that none of our
customers has ever complained of receiving a virus in an encrypted email.
Has *anyone* any factual data to back this up? Is anyone out there seeing an
increase in encrypted traffic? We find that less than 0.0001% of our mail
traffic is encrypted. Is this the norm or are we a special case?

>How is it that all you qmail developers have not embraced
>this big dollar topic as an opportunity. And the modulatity of qmail -
>come on!
:)

This message has been checked for all known viruses by the Star Screening System
http://academy.star.co.uk/public/virustats.htm