Hi list,

before  going on with some ideas i'm not really sure about i'd like to
throw  some  simple  questions  in  -  i was so far unable to find the
definite right answers in the docs (lwq, faq, mailqueue).

Here i have a lan of about 50 machines; 11 of them are NT WS's so far,
the  others  will  follow soon. All run NW 3.12; i use a linux box for
administration purposes (remote administration, virus checking, server
log  checks and much more). Finally they decided that, as the internet
obviously  won't  disappear very soon, it'd make sense to set up eMail
and later all the other nice things it offers.

Some  domains were reserved. We have a provider who puts all the mails
for  all  the  domains  in  one account where we can poll them through
pop3. For some reasons we use an isdn router to connect, so there's no
difficulties setting up the ppp link.

I  got  qmail and several recommended packages (rblsmtpd, daemontools,
serialmail  and  some  others  i don't remember) and set up the system
quite  easily to accept clients in the local net (so they can send and
receive  with  outlook) using maildir (have you ever tried maildirmake
-h?  Nice  experience  8^).  What  i'm not really sure about is how to
get/send from/to the rest of the world...is the recommended way to use
the  serialmail - package to send and fetchmail to get the messages? I
suppose  i  won't  be  able  to  convince  my  provider  to change his
systems...besides  that,  looking  at the log files it seems i have to
modify  qmail's  regular  behaviour  to  wait for the delivery somehow
because  i get these CNAME_LOOKUP FAILED TEMPORARILY messages over and
over again - of course i do as there's no DNS who could help.

If anyone has done something similar before (and i suppose most of you
have)  you'd  do  me a big favour if you could tell me how you did it;
maybe  you're  even  willing  to  answer  one  question  or  the other
afterwards so i don't have to spam the list with this...

TIA,

Daniel