I started seeing a problem with handling the aliases by fastforward. some
of our users had in the old sendmail host a few aliases set up in a way
that the entire company mail is CC:ed to an aditional user, sometimes two.
consider the following example:

user1:  \user1, \mon1, \mon2
user2:  \user2, \mon1, \mon2
user3:  \user3, \mon1, \mon2
user4:  \user4, \mon1, \mon2
mon1:   \mon1, \mon2
mon2:   \mon2, \mon1

now sendmail looks up the aliases file first, the messages get delivered
locally and don't end up in an alias loop.

with Qmail, even if I force ~alias match before local delivery I'll have a
loop problem. I can't specify a file delivery since they are not owned by
alias' UID ofcourse, and fastforward won't do a file delivery anyway.

also, this is going to switch from a UID-per-mailbox setup to a single-UID
delivery system. in either case users do not have a homedir to put .qmail
files in it. the way I see it now I'll have to hand over the alias
resolution to a local agent I'll write (the one that will lookup the
database for authentication and delivery instructions) and give up on
fastforward completely. am I being too drastic?