On Sat, Aug 14, 1999 at 02:49:34AM -0400, David Harris wrote:

> Brian Reichert [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> [snip]
> > The creation of the folder was reported as a success, but subsequent
> > efforts to use the folder yielded '~/Maildir/NewFolder is not a
> > valid mailbox', or some such.
> [snip]
>
> I'm a bit confused about what you are seeing here.

I apologize for the confusion; I was in a rush when I wrote the message,
and just now have returned from vacation to clean up. :/

> When you say that the folder
> should have been created as "~user/Maildir/NewFolder" but was created as
> "~user/~/Maildir/NewFolder" are you talking about the unix filesystem location
> of the folder, or namespace the IMAP server presents to the client? If this is
> in the IMAP namespace, could you please tell me where in the filesystem the
> folder was created.

In UNIX filespace, everyone's default maildir folder was named

        /home/<user>/Maildir

When a user (via thier IMAP client) would try to create a new folder
called 'NewFolder', what was created (in UNIX filespace) was

        /home/<user>/~/Maildir/Newfolder

These IMAP clients would report a successful creation of the folder.
But, when the user tried to place something into the folder, the
resulting error message was '~/Maildir/NewFolder is not a valid
mailbox', leading me to believe that it was looking for:

        /home/<user>/Maildir/Newfolder

> Also, where did you read that "~/Maildir/" was the proper mailbox prefix. I've
> got things working without any kind of mailbox prefix.

I have to admit, I can't find out where I got that.  I think what
threw me was this sentence WRT imap-4.5-qmail.patch:

        "The Maildir driver naturally looks in the standard qmail
        location of ~/Maildir."

I think I presumed to manually tell the client where to look, in
case the maildir root was named differently.

Irregardless of my apparent folly, supplying '~/Maildir/' as the
prefix allows people to read their mail, but they could not create
new folders, with the aforementioned symptoms.

I'll test tomorrow to see if not supplying that prefix clears the
problem up...

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
37 Crystal Ave. #303                    Daytime number: (781) 899-7484 x704