Magnus Bodin writes:
 > On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Russell Nelson wrote:
 >
 > > Not AOL.  Hotmail only uses it for outgoing.  They tried using it for
 > > incoming, but ran into qmail-send's single-threaded processing of
 > > incoming email.  I think they were the first party to ever run into
 > > this problem, and I didn't realize what was happening when they asked.
 >
 > Exactly what does this mean? That qmail-send just processes one email
 > at a time? And there is only one qmail-send that is master of and
 > handling the queue (i.e. spawning off new qmail-(remote|local)s?

It means that qmail-send alternates between spawning jobs and
processing incoming mail.  If mail arrives too quickly, the todo
section of the queue can create very large directories (because todo
is not a hashed tree of directories).  Once qmail-send gets more than
1,000 (or thereabouts -- it depends on what filesystem you're using)
todo files, it can't recover, and the only help is to turn off
incoming mail.

 > And the only remedy for this is load-balancing to several servers I
 > guess..
 >
 > Did they really had to give up qmail?

Just for incoming mail.

--