Title: RE: Sending mail

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>In /var/qmail/control there is a file <rcpthosts> where you can put
>>the domains you want to send mail.
>WRONG! That's *RCPT*hosts: hosts you're willing to *receive* mail for.

Misleading. The rcpthosts file dictates what domains are valid in a
RCPT TO smtp line. This means two things.
1) Outside SMTP servers and users, when connecting to your smtpd, can only
RCPT TO: specific domains. (read: no spam relaying)
2) INSIDE users can only RCPT TO: specific domains. (read: no sending mail to anyone
outside your own trusted network)

There is, of course, a reconciliation between these two worlds that works
quite amiably, using tcpserver and some environment variables, which is outlined
well in many posts to this list and in common Qmail docs.

>>If you delete this file you can
>>send to every host but it'isnt a good idea because everyone can
>>send mail to everyone (you have a relay open).
>That's an exceedingly bad idea.
I concur. Look on qmail.org under "allowing selective relaying" or some such
to get around your problem in a good fashion.

Bill Johnson