On Tue, 31 Aug 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > It doesn't say that.   It says it 'counts bytes AS stored on
> > disk', not
> > 'counts bytes AFTER they're stored on disk'.  There's a difference.  A
> > quick look at the sources will confirm this.
> >

> Vince,
>
> Thanks by your correction.
>
> However, I verified that the messages stored on disk (in queue/mess
> directory) don't include the CR+LF sequences but LF caracters.
> Moreover, the value recorded in qmail logs is exactly the data message
> size without the CR+LF number.
>
> Therefore the size used by qmail is different from the size used by
> ESMTP SIZE extension.
>
> Even more, if the message size is counted during the transmission, I
> don't understand why is used the disk meaning.

The disk meaning is the message size without the headers.  The network
size is the size of the message with the headers (as I understand it).
I've never worried that much nor paid attention to the storage of LF
vs. CR/LF.  It's been my experience that Dan does the right thing.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2