On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Markus Stumpf wrote:

> ~alias/.qmail-joe:
> &[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> | (cat /var/qmail/alias/NO-WORKER.TXT; exit 100)
>
> (which I thought already worked, doesn't any longer) only a bounce
> message is delivered.
> However if I use
>
> ~alias/.qmail-joe:
> |forward [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> | (cat /var/qmail/alias/NO-WORKER.TXT; exit 100)
>
> it works as expected.
>
> WHY? :-)) and are the few messages I had in my box "an accident" ?

Because forward deliveries (&) are always processed at last, and exit code
100 means permanent failure which prevents all not processed deliveries,
which includes all forwards, because the failing delivery was a program
delivery, so all forwards were to be processed.

If you use 99, then it will process all previous delivery instructions in
file order, so even if they were forwards, but no deliveries of the unread
part of the .qmail file. This imitates the mentioned behaviour most
closely, but this does not give an error message. Or of course you can use
exit 0.

See more at the end of the manpage of dot-qmail.

Robert Varga