Thanks to all who suggested I uninstall daemontools 0.61 and reinstall
0.53.  Everything seems to be up and running, however, now I am having
problems with qmail-pop3d.

I have tested the following:
1. Smtp sends mail out fine.  I can send mail out from a local and remote
account.
2. Receiving mail.  I can receive mail locally and remotely (I see the
messages appear in the /Maildir/new/ directory).

I can't seem to pop any mail down yet.  Checkpassword is installed and
configured.  When I run
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup slave-1.net /bin/checkpassword pwd
as a user, then enter a valid "user username" at +OK, then a valid "pass
password" at +OK prompt  I get an -ERR authorization failed.  If I perform the
same command with the same user and password as root, I get the proper
/home/$user directory.  Is it by design that only root can get the correct
response with checkpassword?

Given the above, it would appear checkpassword is working properly (I
think).  However, when I try to pop my mail down I get an invalid password
response.  I am using a WinNT mail reader.  Does the mail reader have to
support ./Maildir if I am only POP'ing my mail down?

I am running qmail 1.03 on x86 Red Hat 6.0.

Thanks.