I've installed qmail on 2 other boxes serveral months ago, no problem.  This weekend,
I installed qmail 1.03 on my home box, which I just updated to Caldera 2.3.

When I put /var/qmail/rc & in my /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail startup script, qmail starts
on boot, but immediately shuts down.  If I run /var/qmail/rc from a cmd line after
logging in as root, it stays running.

I tried lots of items, and it came down to running strace on the qmail startup in the
boot script and looking at the log.  It turned out that qmail was getting a SIGHUP
right after it finished loading.

I put a nohup in front of my call to /var/qmail/rc and all is good now, but I'm a
little baffled.  I didn't have to do anything like this on my previous installs, but
then again, that was a different Linux version.

Also, I'm not calling /var/qmail/rc via csh, as in the example, as I don't have cshell
installed.  I'm just using bash.  Does csh suppress sighups or something?  I'm not
using csh on my other two qmail installs either.

-Trevor