Larry H. Raab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 15 September 1999 at 15:26:48 -0600
 > I have set up my Qmail with the help of a few great people here and the POP3 is
 >working great.
 > But I have followed what it says in the HOW-TO as well as the information in the FAQ
 >and I still get the message:
 > 'The recipent isn't in the list of allowed host in the RCPTHOST'
 > Could anyone give me some more clues on what to do here?

I'm sorry if some of this duplicates stuff you already understand.  I
neither remember exactly which advice, phrased how, has been given
before, nor (of course) how you have understood it.  No offense
intended by repeating what may be entirely obvious to you.

"Relaying" means receiving (via SMTP) email not intended for delivery on this
system, and passing it on.  The situation gets complicated by the fact
that some mail programs and nearly all POP mailers use SMTP for their
outbound mail.  So very often you need to allow selective relaying for
even simple, basic, mail sending to work.  You definitely want to turn
*off* promiscuous relaying; otherwise spammers will use you to relay
their stuff and cause you endless grief, and / or anti-spammers will
put you on a blocking list.

To turn off promiscous relaying, create the file
~qmail/control/rcpthosts, and place in that file the fqdnames that you
wish to receive email for.  At this point, SMTP mail entering your
system will only be accepted for the addresses listed in rcpthosts.

If you have POP users or whatever who need to relay their outbound
mail through your system, this won't be satisfactory yet;  their
attempts to send email anywhere accept to one of the addresses given
in rcpthosts will fail with the error message you cite.  However,
locally-injected mail (through qmail-inject, NOT through SMTP) will go
out to any system.

To enable relaying selectively, use tcpserver to set the RELAYCLIENT
environment variable to an empty string for SMTP connections
originating from IP addresses you want to enable relaying from.  These
might include 127.0.0.1 ("localhost"), and the actual IP address of
your server, if there are people using locally a mailer that sends its
outbound via SMTP (Pine can do this, for example).  These might also
include IPs belonging to your local LAN, if other systems on the lan
need to relay out through your server.  These might also include all
the IPs belonging to your company.

If in addition you have people coming from changing IPs that you do
not own, who need to be allowed to relay (try to avoid this; they
really should be relaying through the server of the provider they're
getting the IP address from), you need to look at one of the "relay
after POP" solutions (several available on www.qmail.org), which use
one or another method to authenticate that the current holder of an IP
should be allowed to relay, and then enable doing so temporarily.

More details about how to do the things I describe are in the FAQ and
elsewhere.  I'm trying to give you the overview really clearly; I'm
hypothesizing that so far some part of the general way things works
with qmail hasn't gotten through to you.  When it does, you'll
suddenly understand how to use it do get what you want :-) .

If the problem *isn't* at this conceptual level, we're going to need a
*lot* more detail than you gave to actually diagnose the problem.
--
David Dyer-Bennet         ***NOTE ADDRESS CHANGES***          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/ (photos) Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon