Dan Bernstein:  Clarification on use of Maildir requested.  Direct query to
you at the bottom of the mail.

Regarding a webmail system for maildirs, which creates a structure like
this to support webmail folders:

Maildir/.customfolder1/{new,cur,tmp}
Maildir/.customfolder2/{new,cur,tmp}
Maildir/localoptionfile1
Maildir/localoptionfile2

On Mon, Sep 20, 1999 at 01:37:04PM -0400, Sam wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Randy Harmon wrote:
>
> > And yet it knows about folders, and munges a True Maildir into Not A True
> > Maildir in order to implement folders differently from True Maildir clients
> > like Mutt.
>
> DJB's specs on maildirs mention nothing about folders, so you cannot point
> to any implementation as being right or wrong, because there is no right
> or wrong way.  Blame Dan Bernstein for an incomplete design.

Ah, just so.  My opinions based entirely on just one or two implementations.
Perhaps asking him for a clarification would be more productive than placing
blame.

... time passes ...

I've just searched the qmail list archives rather thoroughly for Dan's
thoughts.  On Tue, 07 Jan 1997, Dan Bernstien is attributed at
http://www.ornl.gov/its/archives/mailing-lists/qmail/1997/01/msg00205.html
to have said:

someone else> In particular, the handling of multiple folders needs to be
fully
someone else> specified.

Dan> You can set up several maildirs if you want. What's the question?

The response seemed to put off the person who asked the question, resulting
in no solution.  Dan, the question is:

What is your recommendation for creating in Maildir format:

 a) Multiple mail folders for use by MUAs

 b) Sub-folders for use by MUAs

Two approaches have been used:

  1)    ~/Maildir/{new,cur} == INBOX and
        ~/Maildir/.foldername/{new,cur} == foldername

  2)    ~/Maildir/{new,cur} == INBOX and
        ~/foldername/{new,cur} == foldername

Thanks for the crossposted clarification.

Randy