On Sep 22,  9:13am, Chris McCarthy wrote:
> Subject: inetd[]: smtp/tcp server failing (looping)

> Most mornings, the recipient qmail server dies with the following error
> from inetd:
>
> Sep 22 10:06:53 linux inetd[383]: smtp/tcp server failing (looping),
> service terminated
>

> I need to send inetd a HUP to bring it back up.
>

> Any ideas ?

I experienced that problem (inetd stops listening on the SMTP port)
with qmail 1.0.1 (no patches) running under an old Redhat Linux 4.1
installation.

switching from inetd to tcpserver for the SMTP port, did the trick.

Regards,
Lenny

--
Leonard Mastrototaro    Systems Administrator   Click3X New York
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       212-627-1900            http://www.click3x.com

    "Yeah well ... The Dude abides." -- http://www.lebowski.com