Some more info I forgot (don't know if it makes any difference): my local user
is "john", remote user is called "jfjellst"

On Sun, 03 Oct 1999, you wrote:

> you mean "can not" right?
> Are you online, when you try to send the mails via maildirsmtp?
> What happens if you simply try a
>     $ telnet mail.bayarea.net smtp
> in parallel to the above command? Do you get a connect?

Yes, I mean can not.  I'm online when I try the maildirsmtp command.
I just tried telnet mail.bayarea.net smtp, and I did get connect, BUT it got
hung

$telnet mail.bayarea.net
Trying 205.219.84.13...
Connected to mail.bayarea.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 postman.bayarea.net ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.3; Sun, 3 Oct 1999 10:58:40 -0700
(PDT)

It hangs here, and won't go anywhere. Is that the problem?

> I would assume you have problems that your system is not online and
> therefor maildirsmtp cannot establish a connection to the mailer of
> bayarea.net
>
> > Some files you might need to know about:
> > ########## tcp-smtp.cdb ############
> > 127.0.0.1:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
> > 205.219.:allow,RELAYCLIENT=""
> > :allow
> > ##################################
>
> This is only for eMails coming IN via smtp

I'm confused. When you get mail through fetchmail, don't it pass it along to
qmail through smtp?  And don't you also need it for local delivery?

> > ########plusdomains################
> > excalibur.net
> > bayarea.net
> > ##################################
>
> remove the bayarea.net line. It doesn't belong there.
> Also the name is "plusdomain" (not plusdomain*S*) and it may only
> contain a single line.

plusdomains was misspelled. I removed the second entry

> > ########rcpthosts###################
> > friday.excalibur.net
> > friday
> > mail.bayarea.net
> > bayarea.net
> > ##################################
>
> remove bayarea.net lines. They don't belong there, unless you want to
> receive emails for that domain.

Could you clarify this for me? If I send to a user [EMAIL PROTECTED], and I use
my ISP's smtp server. When I set up qmail correctly, don't receive email for
the bayarea.net domain? My local system receive the email from my local user
john, for a mail going to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Since I need to pass through
bayarea.net, don't I in a sense receiving email for that domain?

> > #######virtualdomains################
> > :alias-ppp
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]:alias-isp
>
> What do you need the bayarea.net line for?
> Also the syntax is wrong. You may have only domains (or empty) in there
> on the left side of the ":".

That's what the mailqueue documentation said I was supposed to put in there.
Wrong?

Thanks for all your help (and patience:-)

--
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]