Chris Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 18 October 1999 at 09:21:03 +0100
 > On Sun, Oct 17, 1999 at 05:10:38PM -0400, David Villeger wrote:

 > > I am convinced this problem is caused by people who try to copy /var/qmail
 > > and don't do it right.
 > >
 > That was certainly how I managed to screw it up.  I upgraded from
 > Linux RedHat 5.2 to Mandrake 6.1, I had a new drive to install on so
 > just mounted the old RedHat drive on the new system so I could copy
 > files across and so on.
 >
 > I copied the qmail installation basically by doing:-
 >     cp -R /oldvar/qmail/* /var/qmail

Okay, that makes sense.  I'm in the habit of using "cp -a" when I try
to move stuff from one place to another.  The man page seems to say
this would work -- at least it says -a preserves ownerships and
permissions (when run as root, at least :-) ).

I was really uncomfortable having this fairly frequent error not
understood (at least by me).
--
David Dyer-Bennet                                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/ (photos) Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon