This is becoming a long story and the longer the uglier...

We have qmail crossposting with dnews (news server).  Three messages
went into a loop today.  I stopped qmail and removed everything from
queue (/var/qmail/queue/mess).  A while later I saw the same messages
coming back.  I checked the news server's .send file and sure enough,
there were multiple entries for messages we have already received.
Removed the entries.

I am watching closely /var/qmail/queue/mess and noticed that as the new
messages are coming in, some of them are duplicated.  One copy is stored
in e.g. folder 10 the other in 9...  What could be the reason for this?
Restarting qmail does not seem to fix the problem.  What can I check?

I don't really see any error messages other than:
20 13:45:04: DATA body: Expecting 250, got 451 timeout (#4.4.2)^M
in the news server's log file, when it tries to send the messages to
qmail.

I tried to get rid of the multiple messages by removing them from
/var/qmail/queue/mess and /var/qmail/queue/todo and
/var/qmail/queue/intd but the same id's keep coming back.  Where are
they being picked up from?
thanks
Lidia