The is an inetd error message.  Switch to tcpserver for qmail.  inetd has
a "feature" of disabling services that it thinks are being spawned too
quickly.  This is in the FAQ!

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> the message that I am getting is "smtp/tcp server failing (looping),
> service terminated."  Can anyone shed a bit of light on this??  Now I will
> say that we were running a contest on our WWW page with all the entries
> (40,000+ e-mails) being handled by the Qmail server...could that have
> anything to do with it?  I did a cold reboot and now it's been fine for
> about 20 hours.....any ideas?  I really don't like the idea of having to
> reboot the machine either- it's been up for 11days....
>
> thanks for all your help,
>
> Bernie Courtney
> Z100 New York Radio Engineering
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Timothy L. Mayo                         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Administrator
localconnect(sm)
http://www.localconnect.net/

The National Business Network Inc.      http://www.nb.net/