>> <<< 250 ok
>
>> Relay test result
>> Uh oh, host appeared to accept a message for relay.
>
>The percent sign does not have any special meaning to qmail in
>this case. The address given is an address without a host-
>part, like e.g. a plain "root" is. In most cases qmail will later
>determine that a user with the name "relaytest%abuse.net" does not
>exist locally and bounce the message. It is doing nothing wrong.
>
>Abuse.net is concluding too rash.

Abuse.net is concluding nothing, other than that it wishes that people
would read the sentence following the one he quoted.  It says:

 The host may reject this message internally; if it is really an
 open relay, the test message will be delivered to you.

I know how qmail works, I use it myself.  At some point I will try to
make the relay tester reorder the tests based on what MTA it appears
to be testing.  I will probably put in some more bright blinking
messages like THIS DOES NOT PROVE WHETHER THIS HOST IS A RELAY OR NOT
but from experience I know that nobody will read them and they'll
complain that I'm misdiagnosing them anyway.

--
John R. Levine, IECC, POB 727, Trumansburg NY 14886 +1 607 387 6869
[EMAIL PROTECTED], Village Trustee and Sewer Commissioner, http://iecc.com/johnl,