qmail Digest 3 Nov 1999 11:00:01 -0000 Issue 809

Topics (messages 32365 through 32413):

qmail and RedHat 6.0
        32365 by: Andrés Méndez
        32370 by: Dave Sill
        32397 by: Andrés Méndez

Re: Problem receiving mail (long)
        32366 by: Robbie Walker
        32368 by: Dave Sill
        32371 by: Mikko Hänninen

Re: Dear Ol' DOS (and POP3 clients for same)
        32367 by: Eric Dahnke

Re: What is /var/qmail/queue/pid for?
        32369 by: Dave Sill
        32376 by: Andy Bradford
        32377 by: Dave Sill
        32378 by: Andy Bradford
        32379 by: Dave Sill
        32402 by: Andy Bradford

Local User Only!
        32372 by: Michael Schröder

Re: How to forward unrecognised mail to another host?
        32373 by: Robin Bowes
        32374 by: Tetsu Ushijima

Re: Mail relaying with QMail
        32375 by: John R. Levine

Rejecting messages with more than X recipients.
        32380 by: Ricardo Cerqueira
        32388 by: Michael Boyiazis

General file location questions.
        32381 by: Denis Voitenko
        32382 by: Dave Sill
        32405 by: Denis Voitenko
        32406 by: Markus Stumpf

Thanks, list!
        32383 by: David Clark

I know i'm stupid
        32384 by: Bill Parker
        32385 by: Gerry Jensen
        32398 by: Andrés Méndez
        32401 by: James Smallacombe

Flush out the mqueue
        32386 by: Subba Rao

Procmail.
        32387 by: eric
        32389 by: Sam
        32391 by: eric
        32392 by: Sam
        32394 by: Mikko Hänninen
        32395 by: Eric Rahmig
        32396 by: eric
        32408 by: Bruce Guenter

how do I accept mail for a given domain?
        32390 by: Bill Parker

solution to procmail filtering and Maildir
        32393 by: nascheme.enme.ucalgary.ca

indent options for djb's code style
        32399 by: Kimmo Arola

Virus check through SMTP
        32400 by: Victor Regnér

Mailsubj Priority Question..
        32403 by: Mike
        32404 by: Mike

supervise/svscan/and qmail logging
        32407 by: Robert Wojciechowski Jr.

forwarding mails with self-CC
        32409 by: Benjamin de los Angeles Jr .
        32410 by: Magnus Bodin
        32413 by: Benjamin de los Angeles Jr .

QMail aliases with vchkpw (vpopmail)
        32411 by: Antonio Navarro Navarro

Who do I mail to remove myself from this list?
        32412 by: Miki Shapiro

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hello.

I've installed qmail using RPMs in my Linux RedHat 6.0.

I've installed too:
- daemontools
- functions
-ucspi-tcp

The problem is that wmail doesn't start (I think), because it hasn't created any /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail* file.

Do I have to do it by hand, is there any script I can use or I have forgot to do something?

Thanks.

=?iso-8859-1?B?QW5kculzIE3pbmRleg==?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I've installed qmail using RPMs in my Linux RedHat 6.0.
>
>I've installed too:
>- daemontools
>- functions

What's "functions"?

>-ucspi-tcp
>
>The problem is that wmail doesn't start (I think), because it hasn't
>created any /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail* file.
>
>Do I have to do it by hand, is there any script I can use or I have forgot to do
>something?

"Life with qmail" has a script:

    http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html#installation

But NOTE: it requires daemontools 0.53 and WON'T WORK with 0.61.

-Dave

> On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 03:34:34PM +0100, Andrés Méndez wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I've installed qmail using RPMs in my Linux RedHat 6.0.
> >
> > I've installed too:
> > - daemontools
> > - functions
> > -ucspi-tcp
> >
> > The problem is that wmail doesn't start (I think), because it hasn't
created
> > any /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail* file.
> >
> > Do I have to do it by hand, is there any script I can use or I have
forgot
> > to do something?
>
> I assume you are talking about the memphis RPMS?  You need to
> get the qmail-run RPMS. :)
>
> Adam

That was it! Thanks! Now it works :-)

1] Look at how you start qmail, there's a problem.

2] See the other response.

Robbie Walker

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>My e-mail address is [EMAIL PROTECTED] My ~/.qmail contains the string
>./Maildir/,

Did you create a maildir in your home directory using maildirmake?

>and qmail is run with the following rc file:
>
>       exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" \
>       qmail-start ./Mailbox/ splogger qmail

Probably should be ./Mailbox or ./Maildir/, but you've got a hybrid.

-Dave

Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Tue, 02 Nov 1999:
> Probably should be ./Mailbox or ./Maildir/, but you've got a hybrid.

Not that there's technically anything wrong with a having Maildir named
"Mailbox", but it's confusing to humans. :-)  And probably not what was
intended.

Mikko
--
// Mikko Hänninen, aka. Wizzu  //  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  //  http://www.iki.fi/wiz/
// The Corrs list maintainer  //   net.freak  //   DALnet IRC operator /

Hello.

I've been down this road, and after trying mainly DOS pmail related
solutions eventually settled on a packet driver, NCSA Telnet, and a
maildir'd version of Pine.

- Eric

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Spark Sistemas

Andy Bradford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have a server that does not seem to want to send out any email.  If I
>start and stop the qmail daemons it will will send out bounced messages but
>it doesn't send out any email that should be directed to mailing lists.
>All the aliases are in place...   There are hundreds of files in
>/var/qmail/queue/pid and I think that they are related somehow...

qmail-queue puts messages in queue/pid before moving them to
queue/mess. If messages are staying in queue/pid, they're not being
queued successfully. You should be seeing error messages when
qmail-queue is run, e.g., from qmail-inject. Try running Russ Nelson's
qmail-lint and "make check" from the qmail build directory.

-Dave

Thus said Dave Sill on Tue, 02 Nov 1999 10:23:11 EST:

> qmail-queue puts messages in queue/pid before moving them to
> queue/mess. If messages are staying in queue/pid, they're not being
> queued successfully. You should be seeing error messages when
> qmail-queue is run, e.g., from qmail-inject. Try running Russ Nelson's
> qmail-lint and "make check" from the qmail build directory.
Hmm, well if it puts messages in there then it looks as if I have lost a
lot of messages.  Each file is 0 bytes in length and there are about 10000
of them.  Probably no way I can recover these...  There were messages in
/var/log/mail about qmail-queue not being able to write them.  I wonder if
it was unable to write them to queue/pid as well.  At any rate, the problem
was that the "trigger" pipe was not there.  After I recreated that with
mkfifo all seemed to return to normal.  So, what is the purpose of the
named pipe?
Andy
--
        +====== Andy ====== TiK: garbaglio ======+
        |    Linux is about freedom of choice    |

Andy Bradford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Thus said Dave Sill on Tue, 02 Nov 1999 10:23:11 EST:
>
>> qmail-queue puts messages in queue/pid before moving them to
>> queue/mess. If messages are staying in queue/pid, they're not being
>> queued successfully. You should be seeing error messages when
>> qmail-queue is run, e.g., from qmail-inject. Try running Russ Nelson's
>> qmail-lint and "make check" from the qmail build directory.
>
>Hmm, well if it puts messages in there then it looks as if I have lost a
>lot of messages.  Each file is 0 bytes in length and there are about 10000
>of them.  Probably no way I can recover these...  There were messages in
>/var/log/mail about qmail-queue not being able to write them.  I wonder if
>it was unable to write them to queue/pid as well.  At any rate, the problem
>was that the "trigger" pipe was not there.  After I recreated that with
>mkfifo all seemed to return to normal.  So, what is the purpose of the
>named pipe?

I don't think that a missing trigger would cause your problems.
qmail-queue uses trigger to tell qmail-send that there's a new message
in the queue. If trigger is fubared, qmail-send doesn't see new
messages until it makes it's regular 20-minute rounds.

Did you run qmail-lint, "make check", both, or neither?

-Dave

Thus said Dave Sill on Tue, 02 Nov 1999 13:32:55 EST:

> >Hmm, well if it puts messages in there then it looks as if I have lost a
> >lot of messages.  Each file is 0 bytes in length and there are about 10000
> >of them.  Probably no way I can recover these...  There were messages in
> >/var/log/mail about qmail-queue not being able to write them.  I wonder if
> >it was unable to write them to queue/pid as well.  At any rate, the problem
> >was that the "trigger" pipe was not there.  After I recreated that with
> >mkfifo all seemed to return to normal.  So, what is the purpose of the
> >named pipe?
>
> I don't think that a missing trigger would cause your problems.
> qmail-queue uses trigger to tell qmail-send that there's a new message
> in the queue. If trigger is fubared, qmail-send doesn't see new
> messages until it makes it's regular 20-minute rounds.
I see, so even if trigger isn't there it will check the queue and send out
the mail therein.  Which doesn't help if nothing is in the queue.

> Did you run qmail-lint, "make check", both, or neither?
This is on a machine at work and so I haven't had the chance to check it
yet.  I do know that all the files in queue/pid are 0 byte files though.
Does this matter or are they simply a tracking mechanism?
Andy
--
        +====== Andy ====== TiK: garbaglio ======+
        |    Linux is about freedom of choice    |
        +== http://www.xmission.com/~bradipo/ ===+

Andy Bradford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I see, so even if trigger isn't there it will check the queue and send out
>the mail therein.  Which doesn't help if nothing is in the queue.

Right on both counts.

>...  I do know that all the files in queue/pid are 0 byte files though.
>Does this matter or are they simply a tracking mechanism?

The files under queue/pid are empty. qmail-queue moves them to
queue/mess before writing the message to the file. This is all
documented in INTERNALS in the build directory:

  3. How messages enter the queue

  To add a message to the queue, qmail-queue first creates a file in a
  separate directory, pid/, with a unique name. The filesystem assigns
  that file a unique inode number. qmail-queue looks at that number, say
  457. By the guarantee above, message 457 must be in state S1.

  qmail-queue renames pid/whatever as mess/457, moving to S2. It writes
  the message to mess/457. It then creates intd/457, moving to S3, and
  writes the envelope information to intd/457.

  Finally qmail-queue creates a new link, todo/457, for intd/457, moving
  to S4. At that instant the message has been successfully queued, and
  qmail-queue leaves it for further handling by qmail-send.

  qmail-queue starts a 24-hour timer before touching any files, and
  commits suicide if the timer expires.

-Dave

Thus said Dave Sill on Tue, 02 Nov 1999 13:45:20 EST:

> The files under queue/pid are empty. qmail-queue moves them to
> queue/mess before writing the message to the file. This is all
> documented in INTERNALS in the build directory:
Thanks for quoting that for me... I could have read that myself had I known
where to look. :)  Sometimes finding the documentation is the hardest
pard... At any rate, it looks like things have calmed down on the list
server and I am wondering if I should just delete all those pid files as
I'm beginning to wonder if they are mistakes made by qmail-queue when it
couldn't complete it's tasks due to permission problems.
Andy
--
        +====== Andy ====== TiK: garbaglio ======+
        |    Linux is about freedom of choice    |
        +== http://www.xmission.com/~bradipo/ ===+

Hi,

one question. Is there a trick to allow a specific user
to mail into the local domain only and not to the
"outer space" *g*? Receiveing mail ditto ?

tnx for replies

Mike

Hi all,

I've managed to come up with a workable solution for my "problem" without
doing any serious coding.

Basically, I have setup a virtualdomain and dump all unrecognised addresses
into a default Maildir and then use maildirsmtp to transfer all the dumped
messages to the ms-mail host.

The clever bit is running maildirsmtp under supervise so it effectively sits
there scanning the default Maildir every second or so.  This setup is fine
for our purposes - it would probably begin to creak under a high load, but
we're only on 64Kbs line so I doubt that we'll ever run into a load problem!

I pinched the idea from Keith Burdis' sdeliver script but re-wrote it as a
shell script like Mate Wierdl's initscripts.

Here's the script:

#! /bin/sh -
# $INITDIR/sdeliver.sh
# INITDIR is defined below
# Tue Nov 02 1999
#
# chkconfig: 345 80 45
#                       mail from the eoc.org.uk virtual domain to the MS
Mail
#                       gateway machine.
#               Makes heavy use of parts of DJB's daemontools  package \
#               It also relies upon daemontools.functions for 91.04982% \
#               of the grunt work.
#
#  [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
# created from a combination of mw's initscripts and Keith Burdis'
#  sdeliver v0.3
# [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
#  small fixes and modifications
# Lars Uffman:
# removed mkdirs

# customize
HELOHOST=candace.eoc.org.uk
DOMAINMAILDIR=/home/vpopmail/domains/eoc.org.uk/domain-default/Maildir
MAILPREFIX=eoc.org.uk-
MAILRELAY=ms-mail.eoc.org.uk

PROG=maildirsmtp                       # what program?
DIR=/var/lock/$PROG                    # a directory for supervise to use
LOGDIR=/var/log/$PROG                  # directory for logs
LOGUSER=qmaill                         # user to own logs
LOGSIZE="-s 1000000"                # size of logfile
INITDIR=/usr/local/etc/rc.d         # location of initscripts

# Grab the daemontools init functions
. $INITDIR/daemontools.functions
export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH

start() {
    if check; then
   echo "$PROG is already running"
    else
   echo -n "Starting $PROG..."
   supervise $DIR $PROG $DOMAINMAILDIR $MAILPREFIX $MAILRELAY $HELOHOST 2>&1
\
      | accustamp $PROG | setuser $LOGUSER cyclog $LOGSIZE $LOGDIR &
   echo "done"
    fi
}

case "$1" in
    start)
      start
    ;;
    stop)
      stop
    ;;
    restart)
      restart
    ;;
    status)
      status
    ;;
    help)
        help
    ;;
    *)
      signal $1
    ;;
esac

Works very nicely and won't lose any mail!

R.

Robin Bowes writes:
> I'd like to modify this setup so that candace processes certain addresses in
> the eoc.org.uk domain and forwards any it doesn't recognise to the ms-mail
> system.  This is essentially to allow mailing lists to run from the candace
> box with an address like [EMAIL PROTECTED]

With qmail 1.02 or later, you can set up virtual users in
control/virtualdomains, e.g.:

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]:alias-eoc

which lets [EMAIL PROTECTED] be controlled by
~alias/.qmail-eoc-list.  Other @eoc.org.uk addresses can be
handled with control/smtproutes as you're currently doing.

--
Tetsu Ushijima

>> <<< 250 ok
>
>> Relay test result
>> Uh oh, host appeared to accept a message for relay.
>
>The percent sign does not have any special meaning to qmail in
>this case. The address given is an address without a host-
>part, like e.g. a plain "root" is. In most cases qmail will later
>determine that a user with the name "relaytest%abuse.net" does not
>exist locally and bounce the message. It is doing nothing wrong.
>
>Abuse.net is concluding too rash.

Abuse.net is concluding nothing, other than that it wishes that people
would read the sentence following the one he quoted.  It says:

 The host may reject this message internally; if it is really an
 open relay, the test message will be delivered to you.

I know how qmail works, I use it myself.  At some point I will try to
make the relay tester reorder the tests based on what MTA it appears
to be testing.  I will probably put in some more bright blinking
messages like THIS DOES NOT PROVE WHETHER THIS HOST IS A RELAY OR NOT
but from experience I know that nobody will read them and they'll
complain that I'm misdiagnosing them anyway.

--
John R. Levine, IECC, POB 727, Trumansburg NY 14886 +1 607 387 6869
[EMAIL PROTECTED], Village Trustee and Sewer Commissioner, http://iecc.com/johnl,

Hi there, everyone...

        I'm currently in charge of a large network (covering all portuguese schools,
and most of the libraries), and I'm facing a spam problem...
        All mail is handled by us, not the schools, so it's actually my problem. So...
what's happening is quite simple: Spammers are sending one single e-mail, with all
available e-mails (each school has at least an info@school e-mail) as the recipients,
in the "To:" header. Something like

To: <info@school1>, <info@school2> ... <info@school1000> ... <info@school2000>

and so on.
        This turns out to be rather annoying, especially because Outlook Express and
MS Mail usually crash when they try to read these huge headers. (and I have to go to
the users' maildirs and erase the message by hand).
        Does anyone now if there's any way to count the number of recipients, and
return the message to its sender if the count is higher than X? (let's say, 100). Or,
if that's not possible, return it if the header is bigger than X Kb (or lines)?

                                        Regards, and thanks in advance;
                                                        Ricardo Cerqueira

--
+-------------------
| Ricardo Cerqueira  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| PGP Key fingerprint  -  B7 05 13 CE 48 0A BF 1E  87 21 83 DB 28 DE 03 42
| FCCN/RCCN  -  Fundacao para a Computacao Cientifica Nacional
| Av. Brasil, 101 / 1700-066 Lisboa / Portugal *** Tel: (+351) 1 8440100

At the qmail web site, in the "Yet More Qmail Addons"
section there is the following:

Michael Samuel has a patch that limits the number of
RCPT TO: commands per message via SMTP.

Real mailing list software will figure out how to deal w/
the bounce.  Spammers generally don't.

However, eventually they'll figure out your limit and will
lower the amount they send...

Look also into the tarpitting patch that is available too.

Michael Boyiazis -----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

NetZero
Mail/Sys/Network Admin

I have been using qmail for quite a while and installed it on a number of
servers. I never understood why does qmail use /var/qmail as it's deafault
directory? What is wrong with /usr/local/qmail ? I know it is fixable and I
could do that, but is there a reason for such structure?

Denis Voitenko
Creative Director
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Denis Voitenko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have been using qmail for quite a while and installed it on a number of
>servers. I never understood why does qmail use /var/qmail as it's deafault
>directory? What is wrong with /usr/local/qmail ? I know it is fixable and I
>could do that, but is there a reason for such structure?

Because most of the files under the qmail tree are host-specific.
Obviously, the queue is, but even the binaries are since they have
UID's built in.

If it offends your sensibilities to have non-host-specific files under
/var, you can:

    mkdir -p /var/qmail /usr/local/doc /usr/local/etc/qmail/control \
          /usr/local/bin/qmail
    ln -s /usr/local/man /var/qmail
    ln -s /usr/local/doc /var/qmail
    ln -s /usr/local/etc/qmail/control /var/qmail/control
    ln -s /usr/local/bin/qmail /var/qmail/bin

Or something like that, before you install qmail.

-Dave

> Because most of the files under the qmail tree are host-specific.
> Obviously, the queue is, but even the binaries are since they have
> UID's built in.

What does that have to do with the location of files? I run Squid proxy as a
user squid that is a member of squid group. And it is located in
/usr/local/squid

On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 11:12:00PM -0500, Denis Voitenko wrote:
> > Because most of the files under the qmail tree are host-specific.
> > Obviously, the queue is, but even the binaries are since they have
> > UID's built in.
>
> What does that have to do with the location of files? I run Squid proxy as a
> user squid that is a member of squid group. And it is located in
> /usr/local/squid

Files in /usr/local are often distributed via NFS to hosts running the
same OS. The qmail/queue structure ist not usable via NFS and has to
be local to each machine running qmail. However this can be accomplished
by e.g. with symbolic links.
Also each machine trying to make use of the NFS distributed qmail binaries
has to have all the qmail password entries with exact the same UIDs and
the NFS mount has to allow execution of setuid programs.
To avoid this problems for unexperienced admins DJB probably decided
the best place for qmail is in /var.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet GmbH             |   http://www.Space.Net/   | Yeah, yo mama dresses
Research & Development    | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | you funny and you need

Thanks to Stefan Paletta, Robbie Walker and Dave Sill for their quick
retried the test using valid SMTP, and everything works! Made a quick tweak to
fetchmail, and my upgrade from sendmail is complete.

Thanks again.

--
"But why Hell for me?" he asked. "And why for all? Was it not to keep it
only for a few that Christ redeemed us?"

Father Casper laughed like the God of the damned. "Why, when did He redeem
you? On what planet, in what universe do you think you are living now?"

                            - Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before

How does one solve this problem (I know i'm an idiot, so don't laugh)...

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at xxxxxxx.com.

<info@$$$$$$xpress.com>:
Sorry. Although I'm listed as a best-preference MX or A for that host,
it isn't in my control/locals file, so I don't treat it as local. (#5.4.6)

the domain in question (above) is listed in /var/qmail/control/locals
as
$$$$$$xpress.com (not the real name), but I know I am overlooking something
very obvious (at least I hope so)...

-Bill

Perhaps a long shot, but did you restart your qmail after you modified the
locals file?

Gerry

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Bill Parker wrote:

> How does one solve this problem (I know i'm an idiot, so don't laugh)...
>
> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at xxxxxxx.com.
> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
>
> <info@$$$$$$xpress.com>:
> Sorry. Although I'm listed as a best-preference MX or A for that host,
> it isn't in my control/locals file, so I don't treat it as local. (#5.4.6)
>
> the domain in question (above) is listed in /var/qmail/control/locals
> as
> $$$$$$xpress.com (not the real name), but I know I am overlooking something
> very obvious (at least I hope so)...
>
> -Bill

The same thing happens to me :-(

What's the solution?

> How does one solve this problem (I know i'm an idiot, so don't laugh)...
>
> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at xxxxxxx.com.
> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
addresses.

> <info@$$$$$$xpress.com>:
> Sorry. Although I'm listed as a best-preference MX or A for that host,
> it isn't in my control/locals file, so I don't treat it as local. (#5.4.6)
>
> the domain in question (above) is listed in /var/qmail/control/locals
> as
> $$$$$$xpress.com (not the real name), but I know I am overlooking
something
> very obvious (at least I hope so)...
>
> -Bill

HUP qmail-send

On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, [iso-8859-1] Andrés wrote:

> The same thing happens to me :-(
>
> What's the solution?
>
> > How does one solve this problem (I know i'm an idiot, so don't laugh)...
> >
> > Hi. This is the qmail-send program at xxxxxxx.com.
> > I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
> addresses.
> > This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
> >
> > <info@$$$$$$xpress.com>:
> > Sorry. Although I'm listed as a best-preference MX or A for that host,
> > it isn't in my control/locals file, so I don't treat it as local. (#5.4.6)
> >
> > the domain in question (above) is listed in /var/qmail/control/locals
> > as
> > $$$$$$xpress.com (not the real name), but I know I am overlooking
> something
> > very obvious (at least I hope so)...
> >
> > -Bill

How do I remove couple of notes in the queue? They have been in the queue for over 2
days.

Now that Qmail is working fine, I have many other questions with my configuration.

1. How do I do address rewrite, for each seperate account? Each user on my system has
seperate
Internet accounts. (Please keep in mind that my LAN has a fake domainname).

2. How is mail received by Qmail from the different sources for each user? Is it
through fetchmail and
such programs?

Thank you in advance.

Subba Rao
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Disclaimer - I question and speak for myself.

http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/

Is there anyway to filter thru procmail and then write to a users
Maildir ? The "patched" procmail from qmail.org site (and even the RPM)
doesn't seem to do anything but deliver to /var/spool/mail/$USER.

Thanks.

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, eric wrote:

> Is there anyway to filter thru procmail and then write to a users
> Maildir ? The "patched" procmail from qmail.org site (and even the RPM)
> doesn't seem to do anything but deliver to /var/spool/mail/$USER.

If you want a mail filter that supports maildirs natively, look here:
http://www.flounder.net/~mrsam/maildrop/

--
Sam

Thanks, but we have to make a slow migration for the stupid users.

What I have working is ...

$ cat .procmailrc
PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin
UMASK=077                                       # umask
DATE=`date +%y%m`                               # date format
SHELL=/bin/sh                                   # a shell for exec
MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir

:0
$MAILDIR/new/.

Doesn't look to be anything wrong with this -- but it does not do
exact time stamping on files in $MAILDIR/new -- only a numeric increase
per file.

Any other ideas are welcome.

; If you want a mail filter that supports maildirs natively, look here:
; http://www.flounder.net/~mrsam/maildrop/
;
; --
; Sam
;
;

--
 Eric D. Pancer                 @       "I don't give advice; geniuses don't
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]           |        need it, and amateurs don't want it."

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, eric wrote:

> Thanks, but we have to make a slow migration for the stupid users.
>
> What I have working is ...
>
> $ cat .procmailrc
> PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin
> UMASK=077                                       # umask
> DATE=`date +%y%m`                               # date format
> SHELL=/bin/sh                                   # a shell for exec
> MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir
>
> :0
> $MAILDIR/new/.
>

> Doesn't look to be anything wrong with this -- but it does not do
> exact time stamping on files in $MAILDIR/new -- only a numeric increase
> per file.
>
> Any other ideas are welcome.

If all you're doing is delivering to $HOME/Maildir, I don't see why you
need procmail.

eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Tue, 02 Nov 1999:
> MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir

For procmail, $MAILDIR is the default location of mail folders.
Typically this is ~/Mail, or ~/mail.  You probably do not want it
to be pointing to ~/Maildir, unless you plan to having actual mail
folders (mbox style or maildir style, either) under the directory
~/Maildir

You likely want to do this instead:
DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir

> :0
> $MAILDIR/new/.

Here's the second problem.  With the maildir patch to procmail (at least
the one I use), maildir folders are handled just like mbox folders.
That means you do *not* specify the "new" in the folder name.  I think
you may place an ending / there, to make it obvious it's a maildir, but
if the folder exists and is a maildir that isn't a requirement.  I'm not
sure how procmail behaves if the folder doesn't yet exist, the trailing
/ could have an effect then.

Hope this helps,
Mikko
--
// Mikko Hänninen, aka. Wizzu  //  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  //  http://www.iki.fi/wiz/
// The Corrs list maintainer  //   net.freak  //   DALnet IRC operator /
// Interests: roleplaying, Linux, the Net, fantasy & scifi, the Corrs /
2400 bps makes you want to get out and push!!

> On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, eric wrote:
> >
> > Any other ideas are welcome.

How about "safecat"?

See http://www.nb.net/~lbudney/linux/software/safecat.html, especially
the "safecat one-liners" page
http://www.nb.net/~lbudney/linux/software/safecat/one-liners.html.

Eric

-----------------+------------------------------------------------------------
Eric Rahmig      | "Merely having an open mind is nothing. The object of
[EMAIL PROTECTED] |  opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it
                 |  again on something solid." -- G.K. Chesterton

Apparently it is unclear that SOME people need procmail during the
migration and the default delivery will be sent to the recipe posted
before.

jeez

;

On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 04:48:02PM -0600, eric wrote:
> What I have working is ...
>
> $ cat .procmailrc
> PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin
> UMASK=077                                       # umask
> DATE=`date +%y%m`                               # date format
> SHELL=/bin/sh                                   # a shell for exec
> MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir

You want
        DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/
here, and drop the following rule:

> :0
> $MAILDIR/new/.

> Doesn't look to be anything wrong with this -- but it does not do
> exact time stamping on files in $MAILDIR/new -- only a numeric increase
> per file.

The "/." at the end of the above recipe directs procmail to deliver into
the named directory as a MH folder, which uses sequentially numbered
files for storage.
--
Bruce Guenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                       http://em.ca/~bruceg/

Hello All,

        Running qmail v1.03, vpopmail, chkpasswd, tcpserver, etc...mail works
well for the primary domain (smtpd/pop3d)...now what I am trying to is
is accept mail for a domain foo.com, so if someone sends a mail to
[EMAIL PROTECTED], it goes to an actual user in the primary domain.

At the moment all I get for the foo.com domain if someone sends a msg
to [EMAIL PROTECTED] is: No Mailbox here by this name...I know this can
be done, but it eludes me from reading the docs...(Where is that pesky
qmail book with lots and lots of examples) :-)

-Bill

Here is a simple program to deliver a message to a maildir
folder:

    http://www.ucalgary.ca/~nascheme/maildir.c

You can use a rule like this:

    :0
    | /home/user/bin/maildir incoming

Sorry for creating a new thread.  I deleted the old thread too
quickly.

    Neil

What are the options for GNU indent for reformatting code with djb's style?

--Kimmo

Does anyone know of program that can scan incoming and outgoing mails from
viruses?

Victor

How can I make a message take priority over the ones in the queue.  Like a
system report ran from cron, I want it to take priority over the 4 messages
in the queue with thousands of recipients?  I want it to stop what its doing
email the report, and then go back to the queue?  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

How can I make a message take priority over the ones in the queue.  Like a
system report ran from cron, I want it to take priority over the 4 messages
in the queue with thousands of recipients?  I want it to stop what its doing
email the report, and then go back to the queue?  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

Hello,

I am using the daemontools 0.61, and supervise on qmail, qmail-popup, and
qmail-smtpd.  Right now, I just start a normal supervise process to watch
over those.

I wanted to do logging for the qmail-popup and qmail-smtpd daemons, and
created an SVC/log dir, set the sticky bit, etc.

My question is, do I have to start the two supervise processes (one for SVC,
and one for SVC/log) with svscan, or can I do it manually?  I want to be
able to restart the services, take down supervise for that service, etc
without having to wait 1 minute for svscan to bring it back up.

How can I do this without breaking the pipe between the service and the
logger?

Seems like a pain!

Robert S. Wojciechowski Jr.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

PGP: 0xF2CA68F2 - http://www.wojo.com/pgpkeys/robertw.asc

How can I implement auto forwarding of e-mails with CC to myself?
If I put my own email address in .qmail, I get 2 loop errors and
2 identical e-mails, and the e-mail address where mails should be
forwarded gets 2 e-mails with no loop errors.

Here's the .qmail file that I have experimented:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] # where e-mail should be forwarded
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  # my own copy

Thanks,

_Bench

On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 03:40:40PM +0800, Benjamin de los Angeles Jr . wrote:
> How can I implement auto forwarding of e-mails with CC to myself?
> If I put my own email address in .qmail, I get 2 loop errors and
> 2 identical e-mails, and the e-mail address where mails should be
> forwarded gets 2 e-mails with no loop errors.
>
> Here's the .qmail file that I have experimented:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] # where e-mail should be forwarded
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  # my own copy

"auto forwarding of e-mails with CC to myself"

Is that auto forwarding of e-mails TO YOU
to SOMEONE ELSE "with CC to yourself"?

I.e. to whom is the mail sent originally?
And if that's not you, then why doesn't the above version work?

If that's you, then do this in the .qmail-file:

&[EMAIL PROTECTED]
./Mailbox

(exchange ./Mailbox with ./Maildir/ if another delivery method..)

/magnus

--
MOST useless 1998 * http://x42.com/

Yup, it's my own address.
Thanks, I was just assuming that qmail should deliver nicely with
no loop errors, just like what procmail do.
Never thought of your solution... ;)

On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 08:57:43AM +0100, Magnus Bodin wrote:

> "auto forwarding of e-mails with CC to myself"
>
> Is that auto forwarding of e-mails TO YOU
> to SOMEONE ELSE "with CC to yourself"?
>
> I.e. to whom is the mail sent originally?
> And if that's not you, then why doesn't the above version work?
>

> If that's you, then do this in the .qmail-file:
>

> &[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ./Mailbox
>

> (exchange ./Mailbox with ./Maildir/ if another delivery method..)

Hello !

How can I add mail aliases to a domain that has been installed using QMail and
Vpopmail ? I can add and delete domains and users, but I don't know how to manage
aliases...

Thanks in advance !

Antonio Navarro Navarro
BemarNet Management
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.bemarnet.es

Who do I mail to remove myself from this list?