Check if your machine has the ports 25 and 110 opened, with a port-scanner, to be sure that the daemons are listening.
----- Original Message -----
From: john
Sent: Friday, November 05, 1999 5:49 AM
Subject: Qmail POP3 & SMTP problem

I have setup qmail 1-03 on Red Hat 6.0 and I have done all the additional needs. Now I can receive mails to the mailbox and also send. But now in my client (outlook or netscape) I need to receive the mail. So I add the POP3 server and the SMTP server but I do not receive the mail at my client side.

I have put up the start up script for SMTP in the  /etc/inetd.conf file but I have a line called POP-3 in the same script. Even after I removed the remark statement it seems that my client is unable to receive the mail. What settings should I setup in the server.

I am also using uucspi-tcp and I have installed uucsp-tcp also in my qmail server. But now I need to know why I am unable to receive my mails at the client end pulling it out from the mail server.

my client side set up is

POP3 - pop3.xxx.com.sg (pop3 is my hostname of the qmail server)
SMTP - pop3. xxx.com.sg (SMTP)

so could u kindly let me know where I could have gone wrong.

Thanks & Regards
John Francis