Hi there

  Guy Halse (of ezmlm-web fame :) has written a new version of mbox2maildir.
  This one is very nice because it preserves status flags, instead of just
  dumping all messages into new like the existing ones do. So, new messages
  go in new, read messages go in cur, and status flags like replied are
  preserved.

  It has all sorts of sanity checks to make sure you don't lose the mbox.
  Even hitting ctrl-c during the conversion leaves you with a copy of the
  original mbox, because it only deletes the mbox once it is sure things
  completed properly.

  It is released under a BSD-style license and you can get it from:

    ftp://rucus.ru.ac.za/pub/mail/qmail/guy/mbox2maildir

  I've just used it to convert my entire Mail directory to maildirs (so that
  I can use IMP) and it works very well. For those who are interested here
  are a few on liners that you can use to do this:

  Guy says you should use:

    % for a in `ls -1`; do echo $a; mbox2maildir $a; done

  After which I came up with:

    % perl -e 'foreach (`ls -1`) { (print "$_") && chomp && system("mbox2maildir",$_)
}'

  After which he came up with a non backticks version:

    % perl -e 'for ($moo = opendir MOO, "."; defined($moo) ; $moo = readdir MOO) {
(print "$moo\n") && system("mbox2maildir",$moo) }'

  Or you can find a (long and convoluted :) version at:

    ftp://rucus.ru.ac.za/pub/mail/qmail/krb/convert2maildir

  You choose :-)

    - Keith

  PS: It is just after 6am here. We've been here for a while ;)
--
Keith Burdis - MSc (Computer Science) - Rhodes University, South Africa
IRC: Panthras                                   JAPH    QEFH