[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> But what I am curious about is why installing ucspi (the package tcpserver
> comes in) put sgid bits in some of my directories:

There are three basic methods to automatically set the gid of a new
file: the BSD method, the useless method, and the SVR4 method.

The BSD method is to copy the gid from the directory. This turns groups
into a helpful administrative tool.

The useless method is to copy the gid from the effective gid of the
process. This turns groups into an administrative nightmare.

The SVR4 method is the same as the useless method, except that it
switches to the BSD method if the directory is setgid.

---Dan