I have a script in C ( modified from Gregg's checkpoppasswd.c )
that uses PostgreSQL database to do the authentication;
it uses one system user account and can resolve the case [EMAIL PROTECTED]
and [EMAIL PROTECTED]  If you are interested, you can download it
from
        http://x.csusb.net/free/qmail/index.htm

Tong