On Mon, 29 Nov 1999 17:05:24 -0600  "Chris Garrigues" wrote:

> I'm using Peter Samuel's qmail vacation program and a user
> complained because she got a bounce when it tried to tell a spammer
> that she was on vacation.
>
> Would it be a bad thing for vacation to set the envelope sender to
> something non-replyable like the mailer-daemon does?

A vacation message is effectively a bounce message; you don't want to
know about it being delivered or not, period.  I suggest therefore
that the envelope sender should be empty.

Dan Bernstein's discussion of mail loops talks about autoresponders
and classifies them as bouncers which *should* use an empty envelope
sender:

http://cr.yp.to/proto/mailloops.txt

Regards,

Giles