nslookup spigot.nbs-inc.com
Server:  mail.vcnet.com
Address:  209.239.239.15

*** mail.vcnet.com can't find spigot.nbs-inc.com: Non-existent host/domain

Running qmail-pop3d requires you to put the FQDN on the command line
with qmail-popup. The qmail-pop3d.init script you're using appears to
be testing the FQDN the machine thinks it has, but it's failing (as
my nslookup failed above).

  A) you could hard code a _valid_ FQDN into the script after
qmail-popup (eg, qmail-popup host.domain.com checkpasswd ...).

  B) you could make it so spigot.nbs-inc.com has a valid address.

Jon