I also have the same issue.  My syslog.conf has the entry "mail.*" and my rc
file is as follows:

--
#!/bin/sh

# Using splogger to send the log through syslog.
# Using qmail-local to deliver messages to ~/Mailbox by default.

exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" TZ=PST8PDT \
qmail-start ./Mailbox splogger qmail
--

I really do need to find out some information from my maillog due to some list
issues we are having, any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric Garff
MyComputer.com
SysAdmin