From: Stefaan A Eeckels [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 1999 4:59 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Filtering on "MAIL FROM:"

Hi list,

I've got a colleague who claims that many ISPs (he lives in
Canada, so probably Canadian ISPs) refuse mail based on the
MAIL FROM: command. To me, that seems inane and futile, but
as I'm not an ISP, and don't work for one either, I'm
solliciting the views of people in the know.

The qmail connection being that I'm running qmail on our
corporate server, and he wants me to basically make it an
open relay so he can use the SMTP server from his portable
(he's on the road a lot, uses a lot of different ISP while
on the road, wants his mail to look as if it comes from
the corporate server, and can't/won't give me a range of
IP addresses). Refusing mail that doesn't come from
our domain is of course dimwitted, as we would not be receiving
a lot of mail :-).
He pretends this can be done with Exchange or Notes - I guess
it's BS, but I don't know these animals... In any case, he's
a director of the joint, and threatens to migrate to Exchange
(he's a big Exchange fan) if this can't be done.

My solution would be to patch qmail-smtpd to *require* a
auth before accepting any further commands, and to run it
on another port. Does this sound OK?

Stefaan
--
--PGP key available from PGP key servers (http://www.pgp.net/pgpnet/)--
Ninety-Ninety Rule of Project Schedules: