From: Greg Owen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, December 10, 1999 1:19 PM
To: Qmail List (E-mail)
Subject: RE: My recent AMaViS patch.

> One of the fuctions of the patch was to attempt to actually ATTACH the
> offending e-mail virus to the mail that gets sent to virus
> alert.  However, as you will be able to tell if you use the package,
> it doesn't properly ATTACH the e-mail, it just dumps all of the MIME
> parts as plain text into the message.

        Are you convinced that's the right thing to do?

        Given that the message originator's system is not, by definition,
running anti-virus software to catch this virus, doesn't mailing a usable
attachment back just increase the chance of them getting further infected
and passing it on again?

        I think forwarding the MIME headers for that attachment is better
(not the whole MIME encoded content, of course).  That gives them enough
info to track down and kill the virus if they're competent, but not enough
to help them cause further mayhem if they're incompetent.

--
        gowen -- Greg Owen -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]