clifford thurber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hello,
>I currently have a script written in PERL which contains the lines:
>
>$mailprog = "/usr/lib/sendmail";
>
>open(MAIL, "|$mailprog -t");

Try:

  $mailprog = "/usr/local/var/qmail/qmail-inject";

  open(MAIL, "|$mailprog");

>The script sends the mail out OK but ends up being returned with the
>following error message:
>Hi. This is the qmail-send program at ketel-1.raremedium.com.
>I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
>This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]@ketel-1.raremedium.com>:
>Sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.1.1)

That doesn't look "OK" to me.

>For some reason qmail is appending the the sending machines's domain name
>onto the original recipient, even though I am calling sendmail directly. I
>am confused by this.

Me too. It shouldn't append a host unless one wasn't supplied.

>I notice that under /usr/local/var/qmail/bin there is
>an executable called sendmail. If I want to open up a handle for my PERL
>script should I be using $mailprog = "/usr/local/var/qmail/bin/sendmail"
>????? Or is there a way to open up a file handle to qmail directly from my
>script and then just print to that file handle. Any help would be greatly
>appreciated.

See above. qmail's "sendmail" is just a wrapper for qmail-inject,
which you should call directly.

>It seems that although qmail is installed if I tried to call the sendmail
>program, Qmail seems to intercept it somehow.

If you installed qmail according to the directions, you replaced
/usr/lib/sendmail with a link to qmail's "sendmail". That's how it's
"intercepting" your message.

-Dave