qmail Digest 19 Dec 1999 11:00:02 -0000 Issue 854

Topics (messages 34542 through 34557):

Why empty
        34542 by: Irwan Hadi
        34544 by: Roland Pelzer

Re: Sendmail vs Qmail?
        34543 by: Irwan Hadi
        34545 by: Troy Frericks
        34547 by: Sam
        34552 by: Russell Nelson
        34553 by: Sam

Re: .qmail question
        34546 by: Martin A. Brown
        34557 by: Magnus Bodin

Outlook/pop3d: user claims to have lost mail after an aborted retrieval
        34548 by: bert hubert

Do you see in the FROM field -> From: To: qmail ...
        34549 by: Diego A. Puertas F.

reformatting  the From field in ezmlm ?
        34550 by: Denis Voitenko
        34551 by: Matthew B. Henniges

Re: qmail appending mail machines name to recipients
        34554 by: Heiko Schmidhaeussler

question of"554 Transaction failed"
        34555 by: Li Hong

Re: Is there an update on the qmail book
        34556 by: John R. Levine

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have just installed qmail 1.03 on my linux box, but why
/var/qmail/control is empty ? this makes me cannot test the qmail by
telneting to localhost 25 , and it replies with : unable to read control
Could someone send to me his/her /var/qmail/control/me , rcpthosts, etc...
-------
AFLHI 058009990407128029/089802---(102598//991024)

On 17 Dec 99, at 10:45, Irwan Hadi wrote:

> I have just installed qmail 1.03 on my linux box, but why
> /var/qmail/control is empty ? this makes me cannot test the qmail by
> telneting to localhost 25 , and it replies with : unable to read control
> Could someone send to me his/her /var/qmail/control/me , rcpthosts, etc...

Have you started the config or config-fast script from the qmail-
distro? AFAIK these scripts will create the control-files. Use config
if you have an working DNS otherwise use config-fast.

- Roland

At 10:00 17/12/1999 -0800, Peter C. Norton wrote:
>Post.Office is simple, it runs under NT, any idiot can set it up, and it's
>user interface is better then the current web-configurators for
>qmail/sendmail/anything else I've seen.  It's also crappy.  Delivery is

how about postfix and exim, they seem to be efficient as qmail, and (for
me) is easier to install than qmail.
-------

At 08:45 PM 12/17/99 , Sam wrote:
>[snip]
>Also aliasing as in mailing lists.  One nice feature of sendmail is that
>it dedups addresses after expanding them.
>
>This is one reason Qmail will never be used in any enterprise-scale
>system.  The large international 800 pound gorilla I currently consult for
>uses alias-based mailing lists rather extensively.  Pretty much everyone
>gets subscribed to at least a dozen mailing lists as part of the company's
>welcome wagon.
>[snip]
>Now, you can't run something like that with Qmail and ezmlm.  Pretty much
>any kind of memo is sent out to at least three or four mailing lists.
>Since everything is kept as, basically, one huge mail alias file, sendmail
>dedups the recipient list after expanding it (and, yes, as long as you run
>a sendmail farm on a large enough ring of big honking UNIX boxes with more
>CPUs than most people have fingers on their hands, the performance is
>quite acceptable).
>
>This is an absolute requirement for any enterprise-scale environment.  If
>everyone started to get three or four copies of the same memo, this would
>get old pretty quickly.

If somebody sent a memo to "A-project" and "Management-A", and I was a
member of both lists, I would expect to receive two emails so I could get
them archived in my appropriate mail folder (.  I would hope you could
disable this 'feature' in sendmail if you wanted.

OFF TOPIC: Actually, I rather hate this use of email in the corporate
world.  USENET news is much more appropriate.  The email notifier is
constantly 'in-your-face' with trivial issues or issues that are "not my
problem".  You find people posting to the list when there is just 10% of
the list that it applies to; it's just easier to post to the list than to
address individually to 10 people.  BTW, when I was an employee in this
situation, I would turn my email off all day, and just check my email first
thing in the morning.  Topically 30 messages, and topically less than five
related to me at all.

#

Troy Frericks writes:

> If somebody sent a memo to "A-project" and "Management-A", and I was a
> member of both lists, I would expect to receive two emails so I could get
> them archived in my appropriate mail folder (.  I would hope you could
> disable this 'feature' in sendmail if you wanted.

You'll definitely think otherwise if you start getting three or four copies
of every memo.

Sam writes:
 > Troy Frericks writes:
 >
 > > If somebody sent a memo to "A-project" and "Management-A", and I was a
 > > member of both lists, I would expect to receive two emails so I could get
 > > them archived in my appropriate mail folder (.  I would hope you could
 > > disable this 'feature' in sendmail if you wanted.
 >
 > You'll definitely think otherwise if you start getting three or four copies
 > of every memo.

Why would this happen after installing eliminate-dups?  That's the
beauty of qmail.  If you don't want dups, you don't have to receive
them.  And if you do want a separate delivery to multiple extensions,
you can have that also.

--
-russ nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  http://russnelson.com

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Russell Nelson wrote:

> Sam writes:
>  > Troy Frericks writes:
>  >
>  > > If somebody sent a memo to "A-project" and "Management-A", and I was a
>  > > member of both lists, I would expect to receive two emails so I could get
>  > > them archived in my appropriate mail folder (.  I would hope you could
>  > > disable this 'feature' in sendmail if you wanted.
>  >
>  > You'll definitely think otherwise if you start getting three or four copies
>  > of every memo.
>
> Why would this happen after installing eliminate-dups?

You want to hand-hold all the PHBs who can barely put together a
Powerpoint presentation, and tell them how to install a unix filter?

Life's too short.

Dax,

You really are looking for condredirect.  For example, I have a setup
similar to this:

~martin/.qmail
---------------
| condredirect [EMAIL PROTECTED] [ "$SENDER" = "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" ]
./Maildir/

and then in

~alias/.qmail-devnull
----------------------
# <--as long as there's a hash mark here, nothing will get delivered.

But take a look at condredirect.

This is from the manpage.

DESCRIPTION
       condredirect  feeds each new mail message to program with the given
       arguments.  If program exits 0, condredirect
       forwards the mail message to newaddress, and then exits 99, so
       further commands in .qmail are ignored.

Good luck with it,

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown --- Wonderfrog Enterprises --- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Dax Kelson wrote:

-->
-->What commands can I put in a .qmail file so that email from a specific
-->email address is dropped (/dev/null'd), but all other email is delivered
-->fine?
-->
-->
-->
-->

On Sat, Dec 18, 1999 at 11:26:59AM -0600, Martin A. Brown wrote:
> Dax,
>
> You really are looking for condredirect.  For example, I have a setup
> similar to this:
>
> ~martin/.qmail
> ---------------
> | condredirect [EMAIL PROTECTED] [ "$SENDER" = "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" ]
> ./Maildir/
>
> and then in
>
> ~alias/.qmail-devnull
> ----------------------
> # <--as long as there's a hash mark here, nothing will get delivered.
>
> But take a look at condredirect.

And you don't need to take it that far:

~martin/.qmail
--------------
| if (SENDER="[EMAIL PROTECTED]") then exit 99; fi
./Maildir/

Or even this:

~martin/.qmail
| if (`grep "^$SENDER" ~martin/.trashmailfrom`) then exit 99; fi
./Maildir

and then put all the mailaddresses in ~martin/.trashmailfrom

No need for an extra forward, and extensible as well.

/magnus

--
http://x42.com/

Hi everybody,

After processing zillions of messages the past 9 months, somebody startled me
with a problem. This customer is deemed 'important', that is why I am trying
to find out if this is a known problem.

He is using 'Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2314.1300' (we should have
version numbering like this, sheesh). He reports that he was retrieving
10 messages and iconized his Outlook window after message 4, and then
leaving.

When he returned, only 4 new messages had appeared in his mailbox. He is now
wondering where the other 6 went. I checked, they're not sitting in his
cur/ directory.

Is this a known problem with qmail-pop3d and outlook? AFAIK, the POP3
protocol is specifically designed as to only delete messages when a session
was closed properly.

Any clues?

Kind regards,

bert hubert.

--
    +---------------+  |              http://www.rent-a-nerd.nl
    | nerd for hire |  |
            |          |          Inspice et cautus eris - D11T'95

Do you see a strange From field in this message?

When I see my own message coming back from the list here, what appears in
the FROM field is actually the TO field, it only happens on my
messages. Do you see the same?

I see the problem on the list of messages, when I look at my message the
FROM field is rigth.

This phenomena only happens on my two ezlm lists, this one and
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]".

It happens on both my MUAs: pine and netscape-messenger. I see my
own messages in my mailboxes and they seem to be well structured.

I'm suspecting the problem is that my FROM field is iso-8859-1 encoded,
since my second lastname has an accent. I'm going to send a second message
without the accent and see what happens, sorry for the cuasi-SPAM.

Is there a known problem with iso-8859-1 encoded fields in qmail-ezmlm?

How would I make ezmlm write a header so that the From line contains the
list address, not the sender's? My subscribers want to reply to the list by
hitting the Reply button, not Reply to All.

BTW, [EMAIL PROTECTED] is down as well as the archive :-(

echo "reply-to" >>DIR/headerremove
echo "Reply-To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]" >> DIR/headeradd

Matthew B. Henniges
Axl.net Communications
http://www.axl.net
(203) 552-1714

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999 17:05:29 -0500, clifford thurber wrote:

>Hello,
>I made a post earlier to this list open a PERL program I have written which
>basic opens one file handle ot a CSV file containing usernames and email
>adresses parses them and then sends users mail by writing to a file handle
>opened to qmail. Here is the snippet of code that achieves this:
>
>$mailprog = "/usr/local/var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject";
>
>open(MAIL, "|$mailprog");
>
>print MAIL "To: $email\n";
>print MAIL "From: $from\n";
>print MAIL "Subject:$subject\n";
>print MAIL "MIME-Version: 1.0\n";
>print MAIL "Content-Type: text\/html\; charset\=us-ascii\;
>name=\"newsl.html\"\n";
>print MAIL "Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit\n";
>print MAIL "Content-Disposition: inline\; filename=\"newsl.html\"\n";
>print MAIL "Content-Base: http:\/\/www\.liveuniverse\.com\n";
>

>print MAIL " etc .....
>close(MAIL);
>
>The problem is that every message is being bounced back b/c somewhere qmail
>is appending the name of our machine(snapper.raremedium.com) onto the
>recipients e-mail address. It then sees the name of our box and decideds
>this is a local delivery which is of course undeliverable as we are trying
>to send mail to a list of remote users. Can anyone help me with this. For
>instance below my script assigned the value  $email ="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

In perl you have to escape the @-symbol in a string. So try this:

    $email="maletic\@usa.net"

HTH, Heiko.

Greeting all,I sent this msg several days ago but don't get any responce,so sorry I resend it today and wish get any responce.

here got 2 problem about qmail-send.

1.i setup my own email server several month ago but now some weird problem when Isend email to [EMAIL PROTECTED],following is error info return back my mail damon:

-------
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
216.33.151.135 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 554 Transaction failed
-------

when I try to telnet to hotmail, the result is the same.

why?

2.how could I set the envelop sender since I use qmail in my cgi script like
open(MAIL,"|/usr/local/qmail/bin/qmail-inject [EMAIL PROTECTED]") || die $!;
print MAIL "blah blah";
close(MAIL);

it seems NOT [EMAIL PROTECTED] but [EMAIL PROTECTED],how to change it?I've tried lwq and manpage but no file seems for it.

Thanks.

 vv

>Has anyone heard about the release date of the O'Reilly qmail book?

Trust me, when Russ and I actually get around to writing it, this list
will be the first to know.

--
John R. Levine, IECC, POB 727, Trumansburg NY 14886 +1 607 387 6869
[EMAIL PROTECTED], Village Trustee and Sewer Commissioner, http://iecc.com/johnl,