On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Sam wrote:

> The "return path" is specified solely by MUA, so this is entirely a Pegasus
> Mail configuration issue.  It is possible that other mail servers take it
> upon themselves to rewrite the return address, but they should not really
> do that, and it's none of their jobs.

Whoa, are you sure about that?  I don't think this is correct.  Seems to
me that the smtp daemon writes the header.  Maybe there are some cases
where the client supplies one... but I don't think you can flat out say
it's not the MTA.

Here's a snippet from the qmail-local man page:

 The message's envelope sender is sender.  qmail-local
       records sender in a new Return-Path header field.

Now I know that's not the MTA but rather the MDA.  But that does go to
show that it's not solely the client that can be responsible for the
Return-Path line.  Also, I know this for a fact: when I use the qmail
"sendmail" binary to send mail from pine, it writes my local user
account's name into the Return-Path header.  I had to set pine to deliver
via smtp to the local qmail-smtpd in order to force it to accept the
client-supplied "From" address as the Return-Path.

> Additionally, refusing to accept mail for this reason is rather dumb,

Agreed.  ;)

> Qmail sends an ident (or auth) packets in response to any incoming

More specifically, it is probably tcpserver (or whatever superserver he's
running) that is causing the ident requests.