Joel Shellman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> A client on my server has a cgi script that sends email (I think via
> SMTP through localhost). Well, the bounces come back to me instead of
> going to the person in the from header.
[...]
> Date: 24 Dec 1999 14:08:56 -0000
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: A Special Card is Waiting For You!

Bounces always go the the envelope sender (the Return-Path: header above),
not the user in the From: header.

The problem here is the CGI script they are using is setting the user
part of the envelope sender to 'anonymous' (I'm assuming the host part,
'enSurge.com' is correct -- you anonymized the rest of the headers, so
we can't tell -- another reason not to do this in help requests).

Perhaps the CGI script can be modified, or the web page which calls it.

> Can I automatically forward them to the from header? Can I automatically
> execute a script/program when they come in?

Can probably be done, but is not a great idea.  The return-to-envelope-sender
is standard practice, as it (theoretically) should always reach the
person who sent the mail, while From: and Reply-to: headers can be
legitimately set to other values for many reasons.

Charles
Charles Cazabon         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>