I have a FreeBSD 3.1r server running qmail 1.03 with ezmlm and vchkpw
3.12. It's been running fine for 9 months or so now until last week. The
server crashed (hardware related and fixed) and there was rather
extensive FS corruption..after cleaning it and re-starting qmail, the
mbufs which normally never spike over 300 or so topped 7k, crashed the
server simply trying to start qmail. I raised max-users and thats fixed
it, however for a server to suddently need over twice the mbufs with no
real changes aside from addition of users (not enough to account for
that much change) bothers me. I can find nothing wrong with it..I did
have some 330+ messages in the queue, however I've restarted it with
more before..even a kill -ALRM would cause a crash before I increased
the limit, which never was a problem in the past. Has anyone else
experienced this or have any ideas on where I can look to track it down?

Thanks in advance,

--
Stephen Comoletti
Systems Administrator