On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 11:04:21AM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 11:02:51AM +0100, Marthe Nesøen Gangfløt wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I need to know where I can find info on how to solve domain relaying
> > (one main mail server that sends all known mail to the right host).
> >
> > mail.domain.com will automatically send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > to host1.domain.com and mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] to
> > host2.domain.com (guess you get the picture).. and I just need to know
> > where there are docs on that, or just how it's done. :)
> >
> > I've tried to find about it in the howto and life with qmail, but maybe
> > I'm mixing names or something, because all I can find is relaying for
> > user, not domain :/
>
> control/smtproutes and control/rcpthosts should have all the stuff you need,
> look at man qmail-control for references to the relevant manpages.

Ok now to another question.. with qmail as mail-relay (mail proxy), if
the server the mail is supposed to end up in is down.. will the mail
stay in some queue at mailrelay-server? Or will they bounce back to
sender? And, should I have to add the domains in rcpthosts? I tried to
add some domains and such in smtproutes(and rcpthosts), but it seems to
me that qmail checks the MX record anyway, and just forwards the mail to
the right mx host. I used a fake dns on the mailserver (added fake
zonefile for the domain) so that everyone out there saw the domain as
mail.something.no pointing to my main mailserver, but the relay-server
*and* the "destination" servers used the fake dns. It worked, but I
don't know if it would've stayed on the relay-server or not.

I'm told that Sendmail wil do this better than qmail, but since the one
who told me doesn't really like qmail I would appreciate some
ideas/thoughts on this matter from you all :)

--
-Marthe
Ano-Tech Computers, www.atc.no

"You humans are a disease, a cancer to this planet..
    you are a plague.. and we.. are the cure."