[iso-8859-1] Mikko_Hänninen writes:

> Holger Hug <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Tue, 04 Jan 2000:
> > Is there any possibility to cause qmail to convert a deliberate
> > character set into "US-ASCII" before sending them off ?
>
> Not in qmail itself, I believe.
>
> > At the moment, I don't have an idea where to start. Perhaps there is a
> > possibility to install a script ?
>
> How are the emails created?  By injecting them into the queue with
> qmail-inject?  If that's the case, you could insert another script
> in front of that, which changes the emails accordingly before calling
> qmail-inject.
>
> If the emails are sent "remotely", via SMTP, then you need to fix the
> sending the end.  Or perhaps set up a special SMTP port or something
> which runs a script on the emails, but that sounds like it's getting
> complex.
>
> Anyway, you likely do need to get this fixed *before* qmail sees the
> emails, however they are getting to it.

Correct, but only because this is a Qmail bug.

What he's probably talking about is that when Qmail receives an 8-bit
message (a foreign character set), and it gets relayed to a foreign server
that is not capable of receiving 8BITMIME mail, Qmail will not downshift
the message to 7-bit encoding.  As a result, a few firewalls/mail gateways
will end up rejecting the message.  There aren't very many of them that are
like that, but they are out there.

If mail is generated locally, the only way to fix this is to put a stub
around qmail-inject that translates all 8-bit mail to 7-bit encoding before
running the real qmail-inject.  If the mail originates via an SMTP MUA, you
have to use the RELAYCLIENT hack to pipe the message through a translator.
A pain in the ass, and you shouldn't have to do this nonsense.  This is
something that should be handled automatically by qmail-remote.

--
Sam