I hope this is not a terribly FAQ; I've searched through the discussion
list archives a good bit, and I've seen some answers which come rather
close, but don't quite seem to hit my particular nail square on the
head...  with that disclaimer done:

Setting my system up as a null-host seems to be nigh-perfect for me,
except for local root mail.  I found a suggestion in the archive that
one might apply FAQ 1.2 and FAQ 5.5.  unfortunately, I was rather
spoiled in the past by being able to leave off the @whereever.com for
local mail.  If I follow FAQ 1.2, mail sent from my box to a local
user will arrive at that user's mailbox, but with the To: address of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  Things get real nasty when people
start doing group replies and suchlike, since my box is not always
up, and I shouldn't be in the business of delivering mail anyway.

FAQ 1.1 (host masquerading) works great for this, EXCEPT for the nasty
bit about root mail going out as [EMAIL PROTECTED], meaning that it
goes out to the sysadmin for my company, who really doesn't care what
happened with my cron scripts last night.  I do care about what
happened with my cron scripts last night, so I put my address in
~alias/.qmail-root.  but I don't have local delivery turned on, so
my alias is never consulted...

So I'm looking for a solution whereby
a) I can still send mail to someuser and the to: address is
[EMAIL PROTECTED],
not [EMAIL PROTECTED],
b) I show up as [EMAIL PROTECTED], and
c) root mail gets delivered to my alias rather than going to
mailhub.whereever.com, who sends it to the sysadmin for my company.

thanks in advance for any help,
nathan