Alex Povolotsky wrote:

> Hello!
>
> It seems that from next Monday on, I'll be in charge for administrating a
> large mail and webmail system (over 300000 emails per day, at least 100000
> active users).
>
> I've never met such large systems yet, so I'm seeking advice. Does anyone
> run mail system of such scale? Does Maildir storage work well under that
> loads? What storage is used, if not? How can be solved problem of too many
> user directories under same main dir? Are there any points I'd like to miss?
>
> Alex.

Well, plenty of people here have run larger systems (as recent posts
have shown).

Maildir doesn't really have a problem due to the number of users, so as
long as the
user direectories are stored in such a way as to not cause large
directory searches
then there is nothing instrinsic about qmail that will cause it to fail.

Of course there will be a point at which the aggregate load on your
system will
exceed the system's capability at which point you'll need to do
something about it.

One of the areas that you are likely to have problems with first is the
I/O load
created by the queue. But as always, the best thing you can do is
conduct a fairly
rigourous performance analysis of the system to determine just what sort
of demands
are currently being placed on it and what resources are likely to be
totally consumed
first.

Mark.