qmail Digest 23 Jan 2000 11:00:02 -0000 Issue 889

Topics (messages 35911 through 35945):

Re: High-load servers
        35911 by: Guan Yang
        35937 by: Mark Delany
        35938 by: Ruben van der Leij
        35944 by: Mark Delany

Re: Vdeliver takes too long
        35912 by: Li Hong

Re: High-load servers...
        35913 by: cmikk.uswest.net
        35914 by: cmikk.uswest.net
        35915 by: Russ Allbery
        35916 by: Petr Novotny
        35917 by: cmikk.uswest.net
        35918 by: Russ Allbery
        35929 by: Timothy L. Mayo

Re: APOP
        35919 by: Magnus Bodin
        35920 by: J.M. Roth \(iip\)
        35927 by: Magnus Bodin

(no subject)
        35921 by: ravivr

Web Mail Access
        35922 by: Director tecnico del Nodo Nicarao -- Juan Navas
        35923 by: J.M. Roth \(iip\)

SMTP AUTH - was: High-load servers...
        35924 by: listy-dyskusyjne Krzysztof Dabrowski
        35928 by: listy-dyskusyjne Krzysztof Dabrowski
        35931 by: listy-dyskusyjne Krzysztof Dabrowski
        35942 by: cmikk.uswest.net

Re: Help,-ERR this user has no $HOME/Maildir?
        35925 by: Tetsu Ushijima
        35926 by: J.M. Roth \(iip\)

The perennial Maildir question, perhaps with a new twist
        35930 by: Steve Wolfe
        35934 by: Stig Sandbeck Mathisen

Getting error from qmail
        35932 by: Patterner

My sister, who just turned 18 is looking for work...
        35933 by: bossman
        35935 by: Mark Elliott

She deserves 18 e-mails from each of us
        35936 by: Gregory J. Forkin

Sorry To All of you !!!! (about My sister...)
        35939 by: bossman

defer pop sessions
        35940 by: Michael N. Boyiazis
        35941 by: Russell Nelson

[Announce] oMail 0.2 - Initial Public Release
        35943 by: Olivier M.

problems sending local email with qmail
        35945 by: Eric Lalonde

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

An crazy idea for infinite scalability and n-1 redundancy:

1. A rackful of SMTP servers, running mini-qmail and qmail-qmqpc, behind
pickdns.

2. A small amount of qmail servers running qmail and qmail-qpqpd.

3. A huge, expensive NetApp.

4. A rackful of POP3 servers, running only qmail-pop3d, behind pickdns.

5. A rackful of SqWebMail servers, behind pickdns.

6. A small amount of replicated MySQL servers running authentication.

Are there any problems with such an arrangement? Is it scalable? Is it
overkill for ~1 million users?
--
Ideas don't stay in some minds very long because they don't like
solitary confinement.

One NetApp (regardless of how huge and regardless of how expensive)
means one point of failure, does it not?

Regards.

On Sat, Jan 22, 2000 at 04:36:21PM -0800, Mark Delany wrote:

> One NetApp (regardless of how huge and regardless of how expensive)
> means one point of failure, does it not?

Yup. You do have a bunch of uplinks, leaving the building through separate
conduits, multiple power-supplies and backup-generators, and preferably a
second facility in another city? (In case of a meteor-hit.)

The most failure-prone components in a NetApp are redundant, hot-swappable,
or allready there and waiting to kick in (disks..). The rest can be replaced
in less than 5 minutes. (I have seen how a NetApp-engineer swapped a
motherboard in something like three minutes. Do that to a Dell poweredge. :)

Two F760's sharing a shelf is an expensive way of reducing downtime to less
than five minutes. There must be cheaper SPOF's around.

--

Ruben

On Sun, Jan 23, 2000 at 01:57:58AM +0100, Ruben van der Leij wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 22, 2000 at 04:36:21PM -0800, Mark Delany wrote:
>
> > One NetApp (regardless of how huge and regardless of how expensive)
> > means one point of failure, does it not?
>
> Yup. You do have a bunch of uplinks, leaving the building through separate
> conduits, multiple power-supplies and backup-generators, and preferably a
> second facility in another city? (In case of a meteor-hit.)

That's getting carried away actually. If you have a remote facility and a means
of automated cutover, perhaps via DNS, then unit redundancy isn't necessary.

Regards.

look at this email

On Wed, Oct 13, 1999 at 04:33:27PM -0700, Jose de Leon wrote:
> I'm using QMail 1.03, and using tcpserver instead of inetd.  Linux 2.0.xx.

> Some POP3 account users are complaining of slow POP3 authentication.  About
> 50% of the time, authentication times out.  I have noticed the problem too,
> but once authenticated, download of email is quite fast.

This may also be a result of slow DNS and/or IDENT lookups:
- you may use the -R switch to disable IDENT lookups (very much recommended,
  as most systems do not provide reliable info anyway).
- you may use the -H switch to disable remote host name lookups.
  This speeds up connections if DNS is slow or broken for the IPs
  your customers come from. It also is useless if the IPs do not have
  PTR records.

Please note that these settings may also be useful if you start
qmail-smtpd via tcpserver.

> Are there not enough connections allocated for tcpserver?  How can I check
> if maximum connections are being used?

start your tcpserver with -v switch and direct its output to a logfile.
There you should see messages like
    tcpserver: status: 2/150
That means that currently 2 out of 150 max tcpservers are active.
The max limit can be increased with -c<num>, default is 40.

> Or are there settings in QMail itself I need to change?

No.

\Maex

--
SpaceNet GmbH             |   http://www.Space.Net/   | Yeah, yo mama dresses
Research & Development    | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | you funny and you need

From: "Magnus Bodin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Sat, Jan 22, 2000 at 05:55:26PM +0100, J.M. Roth iip" wrote:
> ok thanks wow
>
> what i was in fact wondering about
> does it run on the same port than pop3 (110) ?

yes.

> does the normal POP3 authentication still work or will only the APOP thing
> work after I created a user with the -a flag
> how do I recognize in fact (from the .vpasswd file or similar) which user
> has APOP enabled?

I pass on this question. It seems however that vpopmail's function pw_comp supports
for a "type" which will allow user/pass and APOP to live together or
be exclusively used. But unfortunately vadduser doesn't let you to set this type
to the values 0, 1 or 2 so I don't really understand how this is supposed to
be managed. Via qmailadmin?

Snippet from vpopmail.c: (3.4.11j)
        /* Type can be: 0 -- try both APOP and user/passwd
                        1 -- user/passwd only
                        2 -- only do an APOP check
           If only APOP or PASSWD auth is compiled in (ie, not both), then the
           type field is ignored.
        */

/magnus

--
http://x42.com/

SUBSCRIBE

Thanks,
RAVI.V.R

Hi folks,

I would like to know where can I find documentation on how to access a
qmail user Mailbox (Read and send mail) from any browser (Netscape,
Internet explorer, etc.) when they travel outside our country .

I'm also looking for information that allow me to access ezmlm lists from
a browser too.

Juan Navas
Nodo Nicarao
Managua, Nicaragua

www.inter7.com/sqwebmail

-- jmr

> I would like to know where can I find documentation on how to access a
> qmail user Mailbox (Read and send mail) from any browser (Netscape,
> Internet explorer, etc.) when they travel outside our country .
>
> I'm also looking for information that allow me to access ezmlm lists from
> a browser too.
>
> Juan Navas
> Nodo Nicarao
> Managua, Nicaragua
>

>relaying.  What control mechanism are you using?  SMTP after POP is pretty
>easy, and I think there's stuff already on the qmail web site implementing
>it.

There is atleast one smtp client from redmond that never does POP before
SMTP if there is something to send prefering to do POP after SMTP :).
Because of that we (large ISP with roaming customers) can not use it.
The right thing is to use SMTP AUTH but the only patch available leaves
much  things to improve.
POP before smtp also stinks because you have to recreate an "allowed IP's
list" after every POP connection and this also is performace killer.
Actualy i'll be paid to enhance the SMTP AUTH patch to support more
authentication types so you can expect it next month if time permits.

BTW: Has anybody hacked on SMTH AUTH??

At 19:09 2000-01-22 , Guan Yang wrote:
>listy-dyskusyjne Krzysztof Dabrowski wrote:
> > Actualy i'll be paid to enhance the SMTP AUTH patch to support more
> > authentication types so you can expect it next month if time permits.
>
>I thought the SMTP AUTH patch used checkpassword, so you could use any
>checkpassword otherwise supported by qmail-pop3d.

I'm not sure about that. I mean, i'm sure that it uses checkpassword but
i'm not sure it can be used that way because various smtp authentication
uses various greetings messages and handshake. it's not only a matter of
obfuscating password in this way or another. as far as i know check
password accepts user and password and return true or false on verification.

If i'm wrong then it's better for us :)

Kris

At 20:29 2000-01-22 , Sam wrote:
>On Sat, 22 Jan 2000, listy-dyskusyjne Krzysztof Dabrowski wrote:
>
> > Actualy i'll be paid to enhance the SMTP AUTH patch to support more
> > authentication types so you can expect it next month if time permits.
>
>I'm curious - what mail client out there is capable of using anything
>besides LOGIN?  Is there anything out there that can AUTH itself with
>CRAM-MD5?

f.e. latest Eudora (4.2.)
Also Netscape has switched the auth type i don't remember the name but
between 4.0 and 4.7 there were 2 different types of auth around.
Also Outlook expres suports 2 differenty types i.e. 4.0 don't work with
qmail-smtp-auth patch while 5.0 does.
The Bat works.

I don't know what exact method each app uses but i have tested the all as a
part of my job.

> > BTW: Has anybody hacked on SMTH AUTH??
>
>Yes, but not with Qmail.  Hence my interest.

Do you have any code ready? we can icorporate this into existing
qmail-smtp-auth patch to get it to work with all client. Note that Cram-md5
will require us to store passwords in separate format (md5 or clear) not it
DES as usual.

Kris

On Sat, 22 Jan 2000 18:57:10 +0100 , listy-dyskusyjne Krzysztof Dabrowski writes:

> >relaying.  What control mechanism are you using?  SMTP after POP is pretty
> >easy, and I think there's stuff already on the qmail web site implementing
> >it.
>
> There is atleast one smtp client from redmond that never does POP before
> SMTP if there is something to send prefering to do POP after SMTP :).
> Because of that we (large ISP with roaming customers) can not use it.

Actually, we (a large ISP with roaming customers)
do just fine -- we just make it clear when you sign
up that you must POP before sending mail, unless
you are using one of our dial-ups.

> The right thing is to use SMTP AUTH but the only patch available leaves
> much  things to improve.
> POP before smtp also stinks because you have to recreate an "allowed IP's
> list" after every POP connection and this also is performace killer.

Not necessarily: I hacked open-smtp to touch a
(per-IP) file whenever someone authed from a roaming
IP.  I then placed an extra command in the qmail-smtpd
pipeline that would check the timestamp on this
file, and if it was "young" enough, set RELAYCLIENT.

So far, no performance problems -- and it even works
on clusters of mail relays, if you share the set of
files via NFS.

--
Chris Mikkelson  | Setting delivery schedules is easy enough using the
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | I Ching, astrology, psychic hotlines, or any of the

michael writes:
> +OK <2123.948385520@/bin/checkpassword>

Note that qmail-popup presents ``/bin/checkpassword'' as the
domain part of the timestamp in this banner.

>             qmail-popup $HOST $CHKPASS $COMMAND Maildir \

So it's likely that $HOST is not set.

--
Tetsu Ushijima

try $HOSTNAME instead of $HOST

the command SET gives you a list of the environment

-- jmr
> Note that qmail-popup presents ``/bin/checkpassword'' as the
> domain part of the timestamp in this banner.
>
> >             qmail-popup $HOST $CHKPASS $COMMAND Maildir \
>
> So it's likely that $HOST is not set.
>
> --
> Tetsu Ushijima

  I'm sure that this question is sure to be glossed over, because it's about
the "unable to scan $HOME/Maildir" - but this is weird, at least to me.

    I have one address (We'll call it "A") that I can pop in and check email
for on the real domain (codon.com), and I can pop in and check email for any
user on virtual domains using vchkpwd.  However, other than "A", I cannot
get pop mail for any other user of the principle domain, with the error
message "Unable to scan $Home/Maildir".

  I can't find any differences in the setup for the different users. Here's
the line I'm using to start the pop3 daemon...

env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:/usr/local/bin" tcpserver 0 pop-3 \
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup codon.com /virtuals/mail/bin/vchkpw \
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir

  More info:
-----------
Home dirs:
# grep A /etc/passwd
A:x:500:100:Steve Wolfe:/home/A:/bin/bash

# grep B /etc/passwd
B:x:509:100::/home/B:/bin/bash

Both home directories are correct.
---------
Maildir:

both users have ~/Maildir, ~/Maildir/new, ~/Maildir/current, and
~/Maildir/tmp.  All are 0700, and owned by {username}.users

What should I be looking for?

steve

* Steve Wolfe (Sat, Jan 22, 2000 at 02:12:04PM -0700)

> both users have ~/Maildir, ~/Maildir/new, ~/Maildir/current, and
> ~/Maildir/tmp.  All are 0700, and owned by {username}.users
>

> What should I be looking for?

It should be:

# Make a maildir.
ssm@hastur: ssm $/var/qmail/bin/maildirmake Maildir

Check permissions
ssm@hastur: ssm $find Maildir/ -ls
215090    1 drwx------   5 ssm      ssm          1024 Jan 22 23:56 Maildir/
215099    1 drwx------   2 ssm      ssm          1024 Jan 22 23:56 Maildir/tmp
215101    1 drwx------   2 ssm      ssm          1024 Jan 22 23:56 Maildir/new
215102    1 drwx------   2 ssm      ssm          1024 Jan 22 23:56 Maildir/cur

And it is "cur", not "current".

--
 SSM - Stig Sandbeck Mathisen
  Trust the Computer, the Computer is your Friend

Hi all....well, I *had* everything working smoothly, but I went and loused it
up and now I'm having some troubles with qmail again.  Here's what I get:
alert: cannot start: unable to switch to queue directory.

I've looked through the archives, and I checked the permissions on the queue
directory and they're
drwxr-x---  11  qmailq    qmail
Which seems to be correct....Anyone have any other ideas?

chris

http://im.yahoo.com

My sister, who just turned 18 is looking for work...
she says she wants to be in movies(XXX) What do you think?

http://www.exit69.com/members/cum/mysister.htm

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?  IF YOU HAPPENED TO READ THE NAME OF THE NEWSGROUP,
YOU MIGHT NOTICE IT'S NOT ONE OF YOUR PORN GROUPS!!!  DO NOT POST HERE!

I believe I speak for everyone.