Turns out that the solution to this problem was to make sure that the
ampersand, '&', is in front of each line followed by each additional
recipient address.  Thanks to Jim Gilliver for the solution and Ruben van
der Leij for an explanation.  However the documentation makes it sound as
though the '&' is optional if the first character of the recipient address
is alphabetic.  It would be helpful if this were clarified somewhere in the
docs.

Thanks,

Mike