Russell Nelson wrote:

  Faried Nawaz writes:
   > And how does someone with /bin/false as their shell put commands in their
   > .qmail files?

  The sysadmin put /bin/false into /etc/shells, and now ftp lets them
  deposit files in their home directory.

 Well, yes -- that's what I imagine happened.  An admin error.

The only time I saw someone place /bin/false in /etc/shells was when they
had a sendmail-based mailhost and wanted to allow people to run procmail
from their .forwards.  Home directories and /var/mail were shared between
the client machines and the mailhost.  Perhaps this sysadmin upgraded from
sendmail and didn't fix /etc/shells.

(Though "| xterm -display myhost:0" worked great, too!)