On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 05:39:59AM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> One of my clients has an employee that travels quite a bit
> with a notebook computer. That employee uses Windows 95 and
> Eudora Pro email client software. That employee also uses
> msn.com for his ISP.
>
> My client runs qmail-1.03. The pop3 services works very well
> for receiving email when the employee is on the road. pop3
> and SMTP works well locally on my clients LAN.
>
> However, when the employee in on the road and dials into msn.com
> from various locations around the country, SMTP attempts at relaying
> through my client's server and the result in a #553 message.
>
> The employee and I tried setting the SMTP server to msn.com in the
> outgoing SMTP server setting in Eudora without success at sending
> out email. We then tried email.msn.com and then smtp.email.msn.com
> and were also not successful at sending out email. He can not
> successfully send email out with my client's company email address
> in the From: field.
>
> I've read and re-read section 5.4 of the qmail FAQ and I concluded
> that because the employee dials in from various locations, he doesn't
> have a static IP address to add to /etc/hosts.allow as RELAYCLIENT
> or as described in section 5.4 of the FAQ.
>
> Obviously, putting all of .msn.com in the /etc/hosts.allow in
> RELAYCLIENT at the client site is out of the question.
>
> So what I am wondering is without having to recompile and re-install
> the entire qmail package with various patches, is there a relatively
> simple solution ? What are msn.com users doing with Eudora Pro that
> allows them to use yahoo.com and hotmail.com as second email boxes ?

There is a way and that is to use "roaming users" (exist in vpopmail
and you im quite sure you will find a independent patch on the qmail's
homepage). This allow people that has successfully auth. themself for
POP3 download to use your SMTP server for X minutes, where X is something
you decide when you compile. I think this is what you are looking for.

I am confident that you will be able to install it, else bug the list =)

You have to recompile, sorry.

BTW:
vpopmail is a great package, so you might want to take a look at it. You
can read about it at http://www.inter7.com/vpopmail/ (no, I don't get
any money for this from inter7 =p)

Best regards
 Michael Boman

--
W I Z O F F I C E . C O M   P T E   L T D  -  Your Online Wizard
16 Tannery Lane, Crystal Time Building, #06-00, Singapore 347778