At 10:33 AM 1/2/2000 +0100, Andreas Altenburg wrote:
>this is my boot script:
>
>-----------------------------
>ulimit -v 2048
>csh -cf '/var/qmail/rc &'
>supervise /var/lock/qmail-smtpd
>tcpserver -v -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -u$USERID -g$GROUPID 0 25 \
>rblsmtpd qmail-smtpd 2>&1 | stuidgid qmaill accustamp | \
>setuidgid qmaill cyclog -s5000000 -n5 /var/log/qmail/qmail-smtpd &
>echo "."
>;;

accustamp and cyclog are part of daemontools-0.53. setuidgid is in
daemontools-0.6x. stuidgid doesn't exists anywhere on my system; you
probably mean 'setuidgid'.

>an error occurs with the command "setuidgid qmaill cyclog ...."
>cyclog cannot be found.
>
>what is the meaning of this line? how can I replace it??

You probably don't have the older version of daemontools installed. Also,
you shouldn't use pipes in the bootscript.

 From your emails to the list it seems that you're attempting to use qmail
using serveral different approaches. You should probably start over, and
follow the instructions at
    <URL:http://web.infoave.net/~dsill/lwq.html#installation> *exactly*.

If that doesn't work for you, ask the list, but be sure to quote *precise*
error-messages. Also, please make sure you include the relevant
information. In another message you wrote:

>i did and use this script:
>
>start)
>     echo -n "Starting qmail: svscan"
>     cd /var/qmail/supervise
>     env - PATH="$PATH" svscan &
>     echo $! > /var/run/svscan.pid
>     echo "."
>     ;;
>
>There is no error message during startup, qmail-send etc. are running, but
>i am not able to send mails from a client using the qmail server (error:
>server not reachable).

The people on this list can't help you with the information you give here:
the snippet you show here just starts svscan. For us to know which programs
supervise should be running, we need to have an idea of the contents of
/var/qmail/supervise. You don't tell us what's in your PATH. You say
qmail-send is running, but proceed to ask a question about qmail-smtpd.

A 'server not reachable' message would mean that your client can't make a
network connection to the host your qmail installation is running on;
'connection refused' would mean you don't have anything listening on port 25.

Also, when following up to messages on a mailing-list, please let your
mailer create the subject-line (see the Subject: of this message), and
quote the relevant parts of the email your replying to.

Following the installation instructions in Life With qmail *to the letter*
is your best bet.

Good luck.

Vince.