"Max" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am running qmail 1.03 on top of FreeBSD 3.4 with supervise and
>tcpserver. The startup scripts are copied verbatim from Dave Sill's
>"Life with qmail". The server starts fine, accepts incoming smtp
>traffic, Pop works incredibly fast, but outgoing smtp messages are
>inconsistent. Some messages send and some just sit in the queue.

What do the logs show for messages that "just sit in the queue"?

>My log file displays the following error over and over...
>
>2000-02-04 15:30:01.714534500 alert: cannot start: qmail-send is already running
>2000-02-04 15:30:02.737359500 alert: cannot start: qmail-send is already running

That means that supervise thinks qmail-send isn't running, and tries
to restart it. I looked at your scripts and processes, and everything
looks OK to me, so I'm not sure what's going on here. But this is only
a minor annoyance since supervise only tries to restart qmail-send
once per second, and qmail-start sees that qmail-send is already
running so it prints the message and exits. Whatever is causing your
outgoing messages to sit in the queue is something else.

-Dave