[I sent a similar message before to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and never saw it. I
apologise if you've gotten this twice.]

I want to set up a two-tiered mail architecture, with a very high uptime
qmail server at the top, and a less reliable exchange server below (I have
no choice at all in the latter).

What I'd like the qmail box to do for incoming SMTP mail from the world is
check to see if user is local, and if not, kick it down to exchange.

But I'd like to tell exchange to use the qmail box as a relay, and this
introduces the dilemma.

What if an exchange user needs to send mail to a mailbox local to the qmail
server? I don't know, but maybe I can tell it "If you don't know this local
address, relay it to the qmail box."

But then a bad address in the local domain will always start a mail loop and
end up in postmaster.

I really don't want to split the mail users into subdomains. And I don't
want to trade email directory info between the two systems (if it has to
happen, it has to be automatic and immediate            ).

So, is this doable with qmail configuration? Has someone done something
similar?If I have to, I can modify code as needed, but I'd prefer not to
just to keep things standard here.

Sean