qmail Digest 9 Feb 2000 11:00:01 -0000 Issue 906

Topics (messages 36922 through 36964):

Amavis and Qmail, how?
        36922 by: Erwin van Kroonenburg
        36935 by: Roland Pelzer

fetchmail with forcecr option
        36923 by: Martin Lesser

multiple qmail instances
        36924 by: Jiri Rosenmayer
        36936 by: Stefan Paletta

qmail and ldap
        36925 by: nsaravanan.md.in.dsqsoft.com

Qmail and IMAP
        36926 by: Mullen, Patrick

qmail anti-spamming
        36927 by: Sergio Sagliocco
        36937 by: Martin A. Brown

unable to bind
        36928 by: clifford thurber
        36929 by: Vince Vielhaber

Re: RH RPM POP3 problemo!!!
        36930 by: Mate Wierdl

multiple aliases for each user
        36931 by: Max
        36932 by: Magnus Bodin
        36933 by: Charles Cazabon

Re: Can I rewrite *@xx to *@yyy?
        36934 by: Matthew Brown

courier-imapd + vmailmgr
        36938 by: Steve Kondik
        36939 by: Barry Smoke

qmail-imap, cyrus imap, qmail
        36940 by: Mullen, Patrick
        36949 by: Russell Nelson
        36951 by: Sam
        36952 by: Greg Owen

Qmail & Majordomo
        36941 by: Andrew Scott

courier-imap rpm
        36942 by: Barry Smoke
        36943 by: Sam
        36944 by: Barry Smoke
        36945 by: Sam

Big and/or famous sites using qmail?
        36946 by: Michael Boman
        36947 by: Glenn Crownover
        36948 by: Jacob Joseph
        36950 by: Magnus Bodin
        36960 by: Magnus Bodin
        36964 by: Frank Tegtmeyer

concurrencyremote
        36953 by: Benjamin de los Angeles Jr .
        36954 by: Anand Buddhdev

virus scanners
        36955 by: Alok Bhatt
        36957 by: Hans Sandsdalen
        36958 by: Alex at Starlabs
        36961 by: Rainer Link

viewing an ezmlm archive with web
        36956 by: Barry Smoke

Problem Found
        36959 by: Ewen Fung

IMAP and vchkpw
        36962 by: Derek Smith
        36963 by: Magnus Bodin

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi,

Maybe someone can help me with the following problem:

I got a qmail-1.03 mailserver and am trying to use
amavis-0.2.0-pre6-clm-rl-5 with it. I followed the installation
instructions from www.unixzone.com/virus and compiled amavis with
"configure --enable-qmail".
The problem is that everything I send by mail containing a virus passes the
scanner, so the virus is not detected at all.
I know scanmails works because when I place "|/usr/sbin/scanmails" in
~/.qmail the virus is detected.
Can anyone who is using the same configuration tell me what to do or how
you managed to get it to work?

Regards,

Erwin

Telematica International
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel: +31-(0)495-547700
fax: +31-(0)495-548411

>Hi,
>
>Maybe someone can help me with the following problem:
>
>I got a qmail-1.03 mailserver and am trying to use
>amavis-0.2.0-pre6-clm-rl-5 with it. I followed the installation
>instructions from www.unixzone.com/virus and compiled amavis with
>"configure --enable-qmail".
>The problem is that everything I send by mail containing a virus passes the
>scanner, so the virus is not detected at all.
>I know scanmails works because when I place "|/usr/sbin/scanmails" in
>~/.qmail the virus is detected.
Seems that scanmail will not be started in your current configuration. Have
you moved qmail-local / qmail-remote to qmail-local-real an
qmail-remote-real, and added the symbolic links for qmail-local /
qmail-remote to scanmail?

My installation using amavis-0.2.0-pre6-clm-rl-4 runs very smooth.

- Roland

Looking through man fetchmail I read:

   The 'forcecr' option controls whether lines terminated by LF only are
   given CRLF termination before forwarding.  Strictly speaking RFC821
   requires this, but few MTAs enforce the requirement it so this option
   is normally off (only one such MTA, *qmail*, is in significant use at
   time of writing).

Searching the list-archive I've seen many postings which contain forcecr
as an option in the .fetchmailrc file.

I'am not using this option and qmail works without problems. Furthermore
reading http://cr.yp.to/smtp/request.html I can't see any reason for
using the forcecr option. Dan Bernstein only recommends that servers
should look only for LF.

So my questions are:

- Is the forcecr option obsolet for the use with qmail?
- Have there been problems with fetchmail and qmail without this option?

TIA, Martin

Folks,

 I've one question. I need to run multiple instances of qmail.

I need different behavior of qmail on every interface of our firewall.
On DMZ, there is some postcard system and on this interface I need to
set shorter queuelifetime. On outside interface  I need filter mail
through QMAILQUEUE patch - I need to filter out e-mails with attached .exe
file. Inside interface rewrites some From: lines.

So, my quetion is ? Can I change qmail root from /var/qmail ??
Is there some other solution for my problem ??

J.

Jiri Rosenmayer                  e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SkyNet a. s.                                     http://www.pgp.cz
PGP fingerprint: 1907 1F79 CC70 74EE FC55 F649 5651 33A4 50D4 ABB9

Jiri Rosenmayer wrote/schrieb/scribsit:
> So, my quetion is ? Can I change qmail root from /var/qmail ??

This is configured in the conf-qmail file in the source directory.

Stefan

Hi all

I am trying to integrate qmail with LDAP. Please provide me details about the
integration steps to be followed.

What LDAP can be used ?

I tried on openldap . I have some problem. Is there any document available on
qmail and ldap integration which lame man like me can understand

Thanks in advance

How do you set up Cyrus IMAPd to work with QMail?  In particular, I
would like to do the "single system UID for all mail accounts" trick as
well as the selective SMTP relaying after authenticating through
POP or IMAP using TCPServer.  The latter I already have by using
the patch to checkpassword, but I'm pretty sure that won't work
with Cyrus so I'll need a new method of implementing it.

Thanks,

~Patrick

Is there a way to avoid spamming using SSL and/or certificate X.509?

Sergio,

<disclaimer>

First, let me state that I don't think you gain any "real" leverage
against determined spammers by using SMTPS as opposed to SMTP, however,
there are probably far fewer spammers trying to use SMTPS as opposed to
plaintext SMTP, because there are misconfigured SMTP servers all over the
net...so spammers will always look for the easier targets.

</disclaimer>

You should be able to use stunnel and openssl to generate (and sign) your
own certificates which then wrap the SMTP session in the SSL layer.  The
docs are not plentiful, but should suffice.  stunnel will run quite
happily under tcpserver, by the way...

Typically, SMTPS listens on port 465.

stunnel:  http://mike.daewoo.com.pl/computer/stunnel/
openssl:  http://www.openssl.org/

Best of luck,

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown --- Wonderfrog Enterprises --- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Sergio Sagliocco wrote:

:Is there a way to avoid spamming using SSL and/or certificate X.509?
:
:
:
:

Hello,
I just installed  the tcpserver package. I then isssued  the
/etc/init.d/qmail stop command. When I grep for qmail from ps I get no
output. Yet when I go to start qmail under tcp server I get the following
error:

> tcpserver -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c400 -u101 -g100 0 smtp
/usr/local/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd &
tcpserver: fatal: unable to bind: address already used

[1] 8963
[1]    Exit 111                      tcpserver -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c400
-u101 -g100 0 smtp  ...

When I run qmail-qread I see that there are 2000 messages in the queue. I
have attempted to send a kill -14 to qmaild in order to run the queue which
takes a seemignly inordinate amount of time. My question is does mail
sitting in the queue cause the above error message and if so what is the
best way to restart qmail with mail sitting in the queue so that I may bind
to port 25 ?
Thanks in advance.

Clifford Thurber
Web Systems Administrator
LiveUniverse.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
565 5th Ave. 29th Fl.
New York, NY 10017
Ph:212 883 6940  (131)
Fax:212 856 9134

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, clifford thurber wrote:

> Hello,
> I just installed  the tcpserver package. I then isssued  the
> /etc/init.d/qmail stop command. When I grep for qmail from ps I get no
> output. Yet when I go to start qmail under tcp server I get the following
> error:
>
> > tcpserver -x/etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c400 -u101 -g100 0 smtp
> /usr/local/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd &
> tcpserver: fatal: unable to bind: address already used

Something is already using port 25.  Either sendmail or another instance
of tcpserver is running.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH    email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.pop4.net
   128K ISDN: $24.95/mo or less - 56K Dialup: $17.95/mo or less at Pop4

Have you installed checkpassword?  Also, the Maildirs have to be
created by hand using maildirmake which has to be run by the user.

Also, make sure qmail delivers to ~/Maildir.  Please read carefully
all the README's for the rpms.

Mate
--
---
Mate Wierdl | Dept. of Math. Sciences | University of Memphis

Hi,

Each user at my company has several e-mail aliases (first.last, first_last, Flast, firstL) with our current sendmail server that equates to alot of lines in the aliases file.

What is the best way to do this on my new qmail server? I am worried about the administration time creating all of the .qmail- files in ~aliases. Would we see a performance hit if I installed dotforward and run some aliases from the aliases file, and the rest as .qmail-?

Thanks in advance

On Tue, Feb 08, 2000 at 09:43:36AM -0800, Max wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Each user at my company has several e-mail aliases (first.last, first_last, Flast,
>firstL) with our current sendmail server that equates to alot of lines in the aliases
>file.
>
> What is the best way to do this on my new qmail server? I am worried about the
>administration time creating all of the .qmail- files in ~aliases. Would we see a
>performance hit if I installed dotforward and run some aliases from the aliases file,
>and the rest as .qmail-?

Go for the fastforward package. It's much faster than plain ol' /etc/aliases
under sendmail.

--
http://x42.com/

Max <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Each user at my company has several e-mail aliases (first.last, first_last,
> Flast, firstL) with our current sendmail server that equates to alot of lines
> in the aliases file.

There's another way...

> What is the best way to do this on my new qmail server? I am worried about
> the administration time creating all of the .qmail- files in ~aliases.
> Would we see a performance hit if I installed dotforward and run some aliases
> from the aliases file, and the rest as .qmail-?

Try using /var/qmail/users/mailnames (documented briefly in the man page
for qmail-pw2u).

Essentially, it's a lot of lines of the format:
sysaccount:mailalias1[:mailalias2][...]

We use it to set up the same types of aliases here.  qmail-pw2u takes it
into account when it creates the output which you put into
/var/qmail/users/assign, which is used by qmail-newu to create the cdb file.

Charles
Charles Cazabon         <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Scott D. Yelich wrote:
> Qmail's documentation is perfect.
>
> Repeat until you believe.

Exactly -- it could not be more terse and still document everything.
Perfect.

;)

-Matt

--
Matt Brown ---- UNIX Administrator ---- tickets.com
Phone: (714) 327-5571 --- Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have started coding an authentication module for courier-imapd to support
vmailmgr style Maildirs.  I'd rather not reinvent the wheel though- if
anyone has already implemented this I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks,
-steve

I know the author of vmailmgrd is working on that very thing....and I
believe was close to finishing....due to be released in the next version.

check the vmailmgr mailing list.
Barry Smoke

From: Sam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Qmail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tuesday, February 08, 2000 8:57 PM
Subject: Re: courier-imap rpm

>On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Barry Smoke wrote:
>
>> Even though the author says there's no need to post a rpm....it would
>> be nice to have one that's ready to install, and run....just by
>> changing the config file.
>
>As the instruction say, you build the binary RPM directly from the
>tarball.
>

>--
>Sam

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Barry Smoke wrote:

> I will say that I was impressed about the rpm building straight from the
> tarball.....but it should also work after installation.

It works for me.

--
Sam

Wouldn't it great if there was a list of big/famous sites that uses qmail
as their MTA? It would be nice if you need to presuiade your boss that
qmail is a great MTA, as most people say: "Use sendmail, everyone else
using it. It's dafacto standard."

If not on the site, why not send me some examples of sites that uses
qmail?

Best regards
 Michael Boman

--
W I Z O F F I C E . C O M   P T E   L T D  -  Your Online Wizard
16 Tannery Lane, Crystal Time Building, #06-00, Singapore 347778

Just as an aside, the phrase "everyone else is using it" could also be
considered a downside when taking security into consideration.  The more
something is used, the more hackers know about it.   Just food for thought
(and bosses love hearing about how secure you've made their system!)

--
·.¸¸.·´¯`·. Glenn R. Crownover
·.¸¸.·´¯`·. Owner/CEO - Investor's Network Cafe

Michael Boman wrote:

> Wouldn't it great if there was a list of big/famous sites that uses qmail
> as their MTA? It would be nice if you need to presuiade your boss that
> qmail is a great MTA, as most people say: "Use sendmail, everyone else
> using it. It's dafacto standard."
>
> If not on the site, why not send me some examples of sites that uses
> qmail?
>
> Best regards
>  Michael Boman
>
> --
> W I Z O F F I C E . C O M   P T E   L T D  -  Your Online Wizard
> 16 Tannery Lane, Crystal Time Building, #06-00, Singapore 347778
> Voice : (65) 844 3228 [ext 118]  Fax : (65) 842 7228
> Pager : (65) 92 93 29 49         ICQ : 5566009
> eMail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]    URL : http://www.wizoffice.com

I believe hotmail does use qmail for their outgoing mail...or so I've read
somewhere.

Jacob Joseph

On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 12:02:17PM +0800, Michael Boman wrote:
> Wouldn't it great if there was a list of big/famous sites that uses qmail
> as their MTA? It would be nice if you need to presuiade your boss that
> qmail is a great MTA, as most people say: "Use sendmail, everyone else
> using it. It's dafacto standard."
>
> If not on the site, why not send me some examples of sites that uses
> qmail?

Hotmail (outgoing, as per previous discussion here)
USA.net
Yahoo! mail
Netscape.net webmail (usa.net)

/magnus

--
http://x42.com/

On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 06:23:39AM +0100, Magnus Bodin wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 12:02:17PM +0800, Michael Boman wrote:
> > Wouldn't it great if there was a list of big/famous sites that uses qmail
> > as their MTA? It would be nice if you need to presuiade your boss that
> > qmail is a great MTA, as most people say: "Use sendmail, everyone else
> > using it. It's dafacto standard."
> >
> > If not on the site, why not send me some examples of sites that uses
> > qmail?

Hotmail (outgoing, as per previous discussion here)
USA.net
Yahoo! mail
Netscape.net webmail (usa.net)
listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu - biggest listserv is using qmail since 1996.
onelist.com - biggest free list service availiable.

/magnus

--
http://x42.com/

Glenn R. Crownover wrote:
> Just as an aside, the phrase "everyone else is using it" could also be
> considered a downside when taking security into consideration.  The more
> something is used, the more hackers know about it.

When do people stop to make such statements? I would like to repeat my
answer in the DNS thread - but I know it was a little bit rude.

Security by obscurity is NO solution to security problems. It keeps people
thinking they are secure when they really aren't.

Widely used open software with a design that has security as its main
focus, that can be reviewed by anybody interested, even with a price for
found security holes is the best base I can think of.

Open source is no guarantee for security. But it helps in getting an
opinion about a product that is based on facts and not marketing crap. If
this software is widely used and analyzed by security experts and hackers
it's a big win. Security problems will be discovered and eliminated faster
than in every other product.

Just food for thought.

Frank

Why is it that the maximum number for concurrent remote connections
is 120?  /var/qmail/control/concurrencyremote cannot override this
maximum value.

On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 02:22:40PM +0800, Benjamin de los Angeles Jr . wrote:

120 is a compile-time upper limit imposed on concurrency for
qmail-lspawn and qmail-rspawn. You can raise it to 255 on some systems.
See the file conf-spawn in the qmail source.

--
See complete headers for more info

 Hi, I am working on suse-linux, with qmail-1.03, Can someone tell me
the
best virus scanners for filtering viruses at the mail server itself.

Thanks
Alok

Alok Bhatt wrote:

>  Hi, I am working on suse-linux, with qmail-1.03, Can someone tell me
> the
> best virus scanners for filtering viruses at the mail server itself.
>
> Thanks
> Alok

Well, I use fsav from Data Fellows Corporation,
http://www.DataFellows.com/.
I have to pay for it, but I think thats ok. We use the F-secure in our
MS-WinXX environment as well, and are very satisfied..

--
/hans

Assuming you have some kind of interface between the mail server
and virus scanner (eg Amavis), we currently find NAI and F-Secure
catch the most viruses while giving the least false positives.

 Hi, I am working on suse-linux, with qmail-1.03, Can someone tell me
the
best virus scanners for filtering viruses at the mail server itself.

Thanks
Alok

____
This message has been checked for all known viruses by the Star Screening
System
http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp

Alok Bhatt wrote:

>  Hi, I am working on suse-linux, with qmail-1.03, Can someone tell me
> the
> best virus scanners for filtering viruses at the mail server itself.
See http://av-linux.w3.to/ or directly
http://www.ce.is.fh-furtwangen.de/~link/security/av-linux_e.txt for a
list of available products. Well, the best depends. You may have a look
at the anti-virus product test of the Virus Test Center, see
http://agn-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/vtc/eng1.htm

HTH

best regards,
Rainer Link
--
Member of Virus Help Munich (www.vhm.haitec.de)       | Rainer Link
Member of AMaViS Development Team (amavis.org)        | [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Any suggestions on what to set up to view a threaded mailing list archive on the web.  Is there anything out there in php3?  There are several php forum packages that could be adapted....how easy would this be?

I noticed that ezmlm-web was at 2.0 now....how good is this?...and does it do the web archive?

What is everyone else using?

I'm just full of questions..........:-)

Thanks,
Barry Smoke

Hi,

        I've got this problem for few weeks but still got no idea about
that....even I've searched the archive.

        This is the qmail 1.03 running on Solaris x86 v2.7. I've tried to use
.qmail to run a vacation program for the users. The .qmail contains the
following 2 lines:

./Maildir/
|preline /usr/bin/vacation -j syssupp

        And i've tried to send one message with attachment to that user, it
delivered....but few minutes later, it generate another same message in the
user mail directory....and after few min....it's same....

        Not all mails will be duplicated, so I've no idea about why!! I've tried to
stop the vacation program without removing the .vacation.msg file. It's
still happened until I've also remoevd the .vacation.msg file!!

        Do anyone of you know why? Of anything I configured wrong?

-rw-------   1 syssupp  other      40917 Feb  9 16:08 950083717.26268.email
-rw-------   1 syssupp  other      40917 Feb  9 16:10 950083818.26492.email
-rw-------   1 syssupp  other      40917 Feb  9 16:11 950083882.26630.email
-rw-------   1 syssupp  other      40911 Feb  9 16:14 950084083.27111.email
-rw-------   1 syssupp  other      40917 Feb  9 16:15 950084118.27177.email
-rw-------   1 syssupp  other      40927 Feb  9 16:15 950084125.27201.email
-rw-------   1 syssupp  other      40917 Feb  9 16:19 950084382.27692.email

        Please help...some users got more than 1000 message after their "nice
holidays"!!

        Thanks a lot.

rdgs,
Ewen Fung

Hi,

I'm trying to find an IMAP server for qmail that is capable of Maildir
access and using vchkpw.

What does everyone recommend.

Cheers,

Del.

On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 10:26:05AM +0000, Derek Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to find an IMAP server for qmail that is capable of Maildir
> access and using vchkpw.
>
> What does everyone recommend.

Where did you find vchkpw?
   - http://www.inter7.com/vchkpw/